• Register Today It's free!

Tires for 2002 explorer?

02OffRoader

Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Since it is almost impossible to put a lift kit on the 3rd generation explorers does anyone know what is the largest size tires that i could fit on my explorer is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wondering same thing

I have been browsing the tires section for the past few days. It seems like most of the tire talk is 2nd gen but there have been some tire talk about 3rd gen lately. I have the 16 inch rims. Stock on it now are 235's but I think you can fit 265's with little to no rubbing. Its a question I would like answered though as I will need new tires soon. I have been looking at the BFG KO's at the 265 size. I think it would give it a good deal of lift not to mention great trail and snow traction. Tirerack.com has a pretty good write up on them too. I will need tires that are decent on the highway as well since I drive 35 miles one way to work each day. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know what has worked for them.

You can put a body lift on it. You'd just have to make your own bumper lift brackets.

I'm STILL waiting on someone with a few grand burning a hole in their pockets to do a full sas on one...that'd be freakin sweet. Oh well, back to dream land

285/75R16 on a Second Gen 16" rim. Someone has pics, I really need to write his name down!! I always forget!

I have seen the pics too but have spent the past half hour looking for them and now cannot find them. They were 265's on a second gen 16" rim, BUT, the owner claims they were worn down a bit before he installed them so that may be why they do not rub. He has pics of them and they look real nice. My question is, is there a difference in that 2nd gen 16" rim and the 3rd gen 16" rim? I would like to go with 265's for sure but rubbing could be a problem. I am going to stop by a few tire places today and see what they say, theres one right around the corner that may put one on my rim to see about rubbing.

Is there a tire recomendation by anyone? I like the BFG AT KO, but they have some horrible customer surveys for ice traction. I need a tire that is great in deep snow, Ice, but yet still OK on wet/dry pavement and it must be real good on highway. I know it sounds like alot but I do not care about highway noise, my audio or exhaust will kill that right away.

wow my bad they are 285's? so does that mean 265 or 275 will fit WO/ rubbing?

BenS's 285s were 1/2 worn when they were put on, but that means anything up to that should fit I cant speak as a definate on the rubing, but from what ive read it depends alot on the wheels that are used.

Heres surfindonesia's 2002 on 265/75/16 LINK
His cardomain says he rubs on bad speedbumps

Kablam put 265/70/17 on a 2003 mounted on the stock wheels and had minor rubbing on the fronts. solved that by zip tying the rubber fender liner back to the frame His Post

My question is whats the backspacing on the 2nd gen stock rims? (the ones like BenS used)

To summarize the above information, we know that people have installed 265/75/16's on 2nd Generation Rims, but does anyone have pictures of direct information on someone who has mounted 265/75/16's on Stock 3rd Generation rims? Pictures?

From all of the threads I've read, I've only seen 2-3 people who have come forward and post pictures, but none are on the stock 16" wheels.

Here's another one on aftermarket rims:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/pv_012.html

Can anyone else directly shed some light on this subject on fitment with the stock wheels?

Pep, can you post what you find out from Bamachips? I have been considering the same setup on my 2002 Explorer.

Thanks!

You could also try 265/70-16's which would be a little shorter.

Back