TMPS Sensors needed for new tires/wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TMPS Sensors needed for new tires/wheels?

K9SUV

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT 4WD 4.0L
I just bought some 17" OEM "Steelies" and 245/70/17 BFG Rough Terrains. Should/do I need- to replace the TMPS sensors, or can they be harvested from my old aluminium rims?

I just bought some 17" OEM "Steelies" and 245/70/17 BFG Rough Terrains. Should/do I need- to replace the TMPS sensors, or can they be harvested from my old aluminium rims?

You can swap them or replace them.

Get the Huf RDE014 stem sensors from TPMS Direct (uses the same Ford trainer and a lot cheaper than the band ones), 10 years is a good life on the originals, no sense in not replacing them now while the wheel is bare of a tire. I did that when I went from 18" to 16" oem wheels.

You will have to deal with a warning light if you don't, but I don't replace them. Its a waste of money. Its not that difficult to keep an eye on your tire pressure, or feel it if you have a flat. The warning light for my 3rd gen just comes on when I start it, and then goes away once I hit reset.

Back