1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

To "2014" or NOT to "2014.. from 2013".. That is the Question? Help?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by dddurham1975, October 23, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. rmp301

rmp301 Active Member

City, State:
    Yonkers, New York
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 Explorer XLT
    You have already felt the pain of owning an Ex ....... Your willing to jump right in again with a 2014?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. dddurham1975

dddurham1975 New Member

City, State:
    Columbus, OH
    2013 Ford Explorer Ltd
    Excellent point indeed! Yes, I was quite disappointed with the resale values but my initial goal was to keep this one and drive it into the ground. To be honest, if it had the ecoboost V-6, I probably would have kept it but I was squeamish with the standard V-6 and didn't want to get trapped in it.

I think that I will skip a 2014 for now but wait to see what 2015 will bring to be honest. Given that I live in the midwest, I will have to see how "tolerant" things are with the Volt and winter driving. Reviews indicate that it does very well in snow, so time will tell.

Hopefully by 2015, the Explorer will have some overhauling done that makes it more appealing. =)

4. NEWPORTNJ

NEWPORTNJ Active Member

City, State:
    NJ
    2020 ST EXPLORER
    My dealer tells me that the 2015 or 2016 wont be a redesign but some cosmetic upgrade like new headlights etc... I trust him because he is always in meetings with ford being that he is one of the big big dealership on this side of town...!

5. anonymous

anonymous Member

City, State:
    STL
    2014 Explorer Limited
    Congrats on the Volt... They are truly cool cars. Keep us updated on how it does for you.

6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It has been said here that it will likely not be a 'redesign' but a 'refresh'. I'll take either one since a 2015 will likely be my next one depending upon what Ford does to it. Then again, no one will really know until they actually build it.

Peter

7. dddurham1975

dddurham1975 New Member

City, State:
    Columbus, OH
    2013 Ford Explorer Ltd
    Thanks! So far so good.. I already have 300 miles on "midnight" and it's only used 3 gallons of gas! This truly amazes me. I'm learning a lot to say the least. The car forces you to become more efficient on your driving habits by displaying certain fun animations that make you want to drive more efficiently.

She's off now getting clear bra'd but I should have her back today. Also, last but not least.. I received my NAIAS e-mail today! For those who don't know, that's the North American International Auto Show held yearly in Detroit, MI. I will be going on preview night for sure (2nd week of January). Keeping my fingers crossed that they will have some updates to discuss on the 2015 Ford Explorer!!

Thanks Everyone! :D

PS: While I do like the Volt in terms of efficiency, I do miss having an SUV to sit up higher. So midnight will have a SUV counterpart again soon.

8. LukerDooker

LukerDooker Active Member

City, State:
    N.E.
    2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
    If you can, take camera to the auto show and see if the knobs have returned yet to MFT in any new Ex's they may display.

9. mamatia

mamatia New Member

2009 Volvo XC90
    Get The Explorer Sport!

If you get a 2014, get the Explorer Sport. It has extra horsepower and is much more fun to drive. There are a few features not available to it and only available in the XLT, like the parking assist and power third row seats (you have manual controls), but with the 401A package it is still very cush. I test drove several SUV's and if you're looking for a luxury interior and long-term reliability, the Acura MDX seems like a better choice over the Explorer XLT. However, if you like a little spunk and some versatility, I think the Sport is definitely the way to go. I'm a stay at home mom and thought for sure I would probably pick the Acura MDX, but once I drove both back to back, the Exp Sport definitely won me over. Also, like you said, you get more for your money. Good Luck!:)

10. dddurham1975

dddurham1975 New Member

City, State:
    Columbus, OH
    2013 Ford Explorer Ltd
    Thanks for the advice. If Ford puts the Eco-Boost V-6 in the limited model then I will jump on board right away. Heck, even if they came out with a Platinum edition that had some additional upscale features, I would do it ASAP!

Also you betcha I will keep everyone updated on the Explorer line when I attend the Detroit Auto Show in January. Tickets are on sale now and I've already purchased them!!

11. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    From the rumours I've heard is that the V6 Eco-boost engine will not be available in the 2015 Limited. However, there was some talk that it may get the Lincoln 3.7L engine. The V6 Eco-boost is what separates the Sport from the rest of the models and the available HID (standard in Canada) and a few other features like park assist is what separates the Limited from the others.

Peter

12. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT