• Register Today It's free!

To Lift or not to lift?

Raphael

Reaction score
City, State
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 LTD 4x4
94 LTD, 4x4, manual hubs. Just bought new Cavalier Sport King A/T tires made by Michelin: 235 75 R15 (29.5 inch). Was discouraged from buying bigger due to fit and potential issues with suspension parts wearing out prematurely. I was going to buy 30 9.5's but these will do. My question is whether I would benefit from a 2" body or suspension lift (is one better than the other)? I wont be getting bigger tires. Will either lift provide me with useful additional clearance. I will be driving in snow primarily and some light off-road (logging road, etc). The 30's or 31's would have given me maybe 1" under my diffs. Would a mild lift with these tires be better than no lift at all? Is skyjack the way to go?

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

depends on how much money and you wont get anymore ground clearance unless you get larger tires :D do a search for more info :fire:

Thanks for the replies,

I've read the charts on max tire size vs lift, and I made the decision not to go up a size for my purposes right now. My question is whether any one would do a lift WITHOUT planning to put in bigger tires, and would the added clearance under the frame,body, and wheel wells be helpful in off road conditions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

if you arent planning on doing bigger tires, but you want the lift- definitely do the suspension lift- a body lift wont lift any of your guts further off the ground. you WILL want bigger tires once you lift it

Thanks a lot,

That makes sense to me. Is the skyjacker (rear spring, front coil, and shocks) the best way to go for a mild lift? Will any additional mods be required? You're absolutely right though. I WILL want bigger tires if I lift it, but I'm kinda suck wih these ones for now.

for a mild lift, i would just do coil spring spacers in the front and shackles and add-a-leafs in the rear and that will get you 2 inches a lot cheaper than the skyjacker kit. do a search and you will find plenty of info on it.

Ok,

I've done all the reading and I'm comfortable with what I have to do, however, I am still undecided on whether I should use both the shackles and the aal in the rear or just one. My truck is level now, and the suspension is pretty good. If I use both, then will the rear be higher? Will one method alone give me 2" in the back? I'm planning to go with the F-150 coil seats, so I might be just shy of 2" up front. Thanks.

stick just the shackle in the back and it should match

Any performance differences between shackles or aal (concerning articulation and stiffness)?

i would do both- i'm just running shackles and i need to make it stiffer- my rear end is too flexy for the amount of lift i have. its almost impossible for me to lift a tire and my tire rubs really bad inside my fender when i am flexed. plus, you'll get more lift that way :D

Thanks for the replies,

Remember though that I'm only going with 235/75/15s (29.5"), so I shouldn't have the rubbing problems. I think that I'll already have an extra inch of wheel well clearnce over anyone with 31's. Maybe I'll try the shackles first, and if its too soft, or too saggy compared to the front, then I can always add the leafs later right? Also, wrt: the front, should I buy a cambr kit for the allignment or should I wait to see what happens after I install the new spacers? I don't want to get "bent-over" by the allignment shop on parts prices.

Cheers

yeah, get

Moog Camber Shims:
K8983 - 2.75 degree's, 91-94 Explorer 4x4 (3.5 degrees installed on 2WD) dana 35 TTB

K8984 - 3.0 degree's, 91-94 Explorer 4x4 (3.25 degrees installed on 2WD)

I installed the first one (2.75 degrees) after I put on the f-150 spacers and took it to the aligment shop, I guessed and got lucky because that was what I needed and the alignment only cost me 40 bucks.

Thanks,

I'll get both, talk to my shop and see if they'll offer me any advice, and then I'll take back the one I dont need. How much are they? Any problems after installing the spacers?

Cheers

Back