Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much? A lot. While camping this summer my Expedition got totaled out in a hail storm so I have a little scratch to spend.

How long? It's 2.2m long. Which is basically the length of the roof. I got the long one because I have an Oztent (also part of that insurance money) that is over 6' long and I didn't want to have a bunch of it unsupported off the factory rack.

Go to www.equipt1.com for other sizes and pricing. It's not cheap but I did get a solid piece for that price. And it's easy to accessorize with awnings and water can attachments.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Very nice. I saw your pic of the tent, does the flap/awning attach to the rack?

Washed it today in preparation of next Saturday's Explorer run up Red Cone.

Got some pics of the roof rack.
4514CB21-746D-4964-AE4E-644C1C0A3D90.jpg

54DFC051-EF20-4A0D-B4A2-EAE32F247633.jpg

Yeah, a lightbar would be nice. But it seems like everyone that I know that's had an LED lightbar has had water intrusion issues.

I'll wait it out some. Those KC lights are pretty nice.

But because I've heard glare off the hood can be an issue with roof mounted lights, I'd want the lights on the roof rack to be spots since they wouldn't cover up close due to the hood cutting off the light for things up close. So I'd need floods on the bumper to handle that.

Added a USB charger to the dash. I've used cigarette lighter adapters but I've had problems with them not always staying in contact and there not charging. This one has a 3 amp socket for charging my iPad.

41CC84A9-FB64-45C3-93BA-F2D2078075FD.jpg

0F3255BC-1DB0-4D22-8A53-A8035D4C27D1.jpg

I wired in a switch because anytime there is power, the bright blue led is on.
4DB70D2A-0868-4140-A1DF-32CDC8D7F9AD.jpg

Added a USB charger to the dash. I've used cigarette lighter adapters but I've had problems with them not always staying in contact and there not charging. This one has a 3 amp socket for charging my iPad.

That is a clean install, nice! I put in a new headunit some months back with an iphone cable coming out the dash which charges it too, but this would be handy for sure.

Took some pics of the "Colorado Pin Striping" I've accumilated over the past couple years.

C073AA10-2399-4558-8982-1794C2DF41F9.jpg

1AC85773-431F-4D83-9A46-213297133556.jpg

And the plastic on my turn signals is super brittle from age. I had no fasteners holding in my passenger side turn signal. Same story on the driver side. Occasionally I'd have to pop one back in after a trail run. Still need a driver side these things are nearly impossible to get out without breaking. I would have had a driver side but.......

B04A70E6-26CF-4631-AED4-ADBA67FFD480.jpg

tom where did you get that USB charger i really like that one.. thanks

thank you sir! i like the way yours is set up i just recently got into a 98 explorer AWD and the 5.0, i like your thread it give me a good place to start and do research on each upgrade!! I never realised just how much there is to do and enjoy with an explorer

thank you sir! i like the way yours is set up i just recently got into a 98 explorer AWD and the 5.0, i like your thread it give me a good place to start and do research on each upgrade!! I never realised just how much there is to do and enjoy with an explorer

And so another one begins..........

And the plastic on my turn signals is super brittle from age. I had no fasteners holding in my passenger side turn signal. Same story on the driver side. Occasionally I'd have to pop one back in after a trail run. Still need a driver side these things are nearly impossible to get out without breaking. I would have had a driver side but.......

Once I get the chrome and aluminum all painted over and blacked out, I think these would would look pretty slick:

Projector headlights

or these:

Black headlight assembly

Minimal chrome for me. I'm liking the blacked out look.

its so odd coming in on the back side of most of the posts on this forum, i still see there are a few die hard explorer fanatics out there but a bunch of these threads are way old and half of the OPs are inactive for at least 5 or more years :(
that being said, its funny seeing how some of the people on this forum spent close to 700 bucks to put projector HIDs in there Xs and now i can get DOT approved lights for 200 bucks with the bulbs..
wished i would have had this explorer a few years ago when the 2 gen body was popular on this site..

The 2nd gen is still around and kicking. The 5th gen sub-forum really seems to dominate the traffic though.

I just had a bushing BBQ. The trackbar bushing had a fair amount of play and could be the cause of a vibration I'm trying to get rid of. The metal sleeve in the center fell out when I removed the trackbar from the mounting clevis, but the rubber needed some help so I torched it out. I ordered a replacement polyurethane bushing from Energy Suspension.

On the vibration issue: I just had the front driveshaft rebuilt after I discovered a bunch of play in it. The cause was water/mud had got down between the splines and turned itself into an abrasive paste and loosened up that fit some. The new shaft was built with a rubber boot on it.

I installed it and went 4wheeling. The vibration is better but there's still something there. My rear driveshaft is set up just like how the front was: no boot. I couldn't detect any noticeable play but removed it and went for a drive just in case. In FWD, I found it pretty easy to spin the tires. I thought that was funny. But as I accelerated through about 30 MPH, there was a noticeable vibration.

I've been tightening that trackbar every so often and found it loose again, but this time the play seemed to be along the axis of the bushing. So when that gets here I'll go for a drive and test that out.

Ball joints- upper and lower, are also suspect and should be replaced. Preventative maintenance if nothing else.

Next candidate in the vibration cause:
BB21EC0D-E38C-4E49-8015-C95F4FD5DDFE.jpg

I noticed just a little bit of play in the spherical bearing. And it's play that tightening the bolt won't solve. So I'm going to get a new set of rod ends and go from there.

Check out these tie rod ends, they are fully rebuildable and can be tightened as they wear. They make the nicest rod ends out there. These ones have straight pins.
http://www.emfrodends.com/category-s/1963.htm

Your truck is looking really good too.

I noticed just a little bit of play in the spherical bearing. And it's play that tightening the bolt won't solve. So I'm going to get a new set of rod ends and go from there.

I got new Heim joints from Ruffstuff for the tie rod. No more vibrations! I may do the track bar and drag link too. There is definitely some play in the old ones. I'll keep them as spares just in case.

Not much else to report on.

Some older updates I didn't post here.....

Traded a guy straight up for my Yeti Tundra 45 for his Yeti Tundra 60. My 45 was a good size most of the time but there were a couple times I wish I had larger. And he was looking to downsize. Perfect match!
B3B462D7-745F-405B-96DC-67AF887972D7.jpg

Loaded up the roof rack and went camping back in September. Explored some neat old mines:
201307C8-58DC-46A1-B500-17EFACF18FC3.jpg

7B77F533-7998-45D0-9113-5B4738DADA77.jpg

B82CF026-56CB-4C9D-93B0-6F678F69A8E9.jpg

Back