Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your mpg's sounds like mine. I occasionally see a great 21mpg but usually its 15 point something.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yours is the twin to the one I just bought

The cargo mat with the built in bins. Was that a factory option or an aftermarket? Do you know?

I really like that mat- is the cargo divider thingy part of it, and are there part numbers on it/them?

I'll take a look. Up until the dog barfed on it, I was pretty neutral on the cargo mat. Now though, I really like it.

OK, for anyone looking, I found that thing on eBay. Since I don't need the "last one" they have, figured I'd post up here in case someone might be interested in getting one. It is for the Gen 1 and 2, don't look at the picture. It's the same style as Tom's, but they show a 3rd gen in the pic. Part number shown says it's for the Gen 1 & 2... :thumbsup:

CLICK ME

1/30/11

Headlight restoration.

The headlights were a little cloudy and pitted- no surprise really for a vehicle of this age. I tossed around the idea of get 2 new headlight assemblies, but decided that about the price of one new one, I could bring these back to nearly 100% with that 3M Headlight Restoration Kit. I picked one up at Autozone for about $20.

It's a fairly easy job- follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Before:
headlights%20-%20before.JPG

Headlights%20-%20LH%20close%20before.JPG

headlights%20-%20RH%20close%20before.JPG

After about 20 minutes of work:
Headlights%20-%20after.JPG

Headlights%20-%20LH%20close%20after.JPG

Headlights%20-%20RH%20close%20after.JPG

I'm satisfied. They aren't perfect, but they are better than what I started with. I haven't had a chance to try them out at night yet.

Tom- if you grab a bottle of 3M "Finish Restorer" (like a buffing compound) you can put some on a small random orbital pad or use by hand and buff them the rest of the way out.

This was all Finish Restorer on my '97 SHO:

Before:

SHOHeadlights008.jpg

After:

Left hand applied twice, about 60 seconds each time, and right was applied with the small Harbor Freight random orbital for about a minute- similar results with either method...

SHOHeadlights014-1.jpg

3/18/11 122,841 miles

Rear wheel bearing and seals.

While replacing the rear rotors and pads last weekend, I noticed the right wheel bearing seal was leaking. I put the pad/rotor replacement on hold and tackled the bearings/wheel seals today. I wasn't thrilled that I had to crack open the pumpkin after just filling it with expensive Red Line gear oil a couple months ago, but such is life. I've never had any experience pulling rear axles before so I was a little worried, but it was really easy.

Once I got a proper slide hammer with an bearing puller attachment (the one I got from Autozone was crap, Advanced Auto had a nearly brand new tool that worked great), the old bearings and seals popped out fairly easily. The new bearings went in easy with a VERY large socket I had laying around from a previous axle seal install. I managed to eff up one wheel seal so I had to have a friend take me to the store to get a new one.

................I'll finish this update later.......

Tom, it's later. Where is the update? We don't have all night. :D

Wah, wah, wah........

Pics (I didn't take too many because gear lube is nasty and I don't want to get it all over my camera):
axle%20removed.JPG

axle.JPG

diff%20with%20pin%20removed.JPG

The new funnel I got has a nice bendy tube attached to it which made filling the rear diff a piece of cake compared to how I did it before.

I also painted the rear bumper trim. I am trying to consolidate the colors on the exterior. What I've got so far:
Red - duh!
Black - tires, mirror, trim around windows
Chrome/aluminum - bumpers and wheels (they aren't quite the same but pretty close)
Purply/grey - bumper trim, running board steps

My plan is to only have 3 exterior colors.

Before:
interior%20-%20rear%20cargo%202.JPG

After:
painted%20rear.JPG

I used some Rustoleum Truckbed Liner. One can was only enough to do the 4 pieces along the back. Even though it's not perfect (some runs here and there), it looks TONS better.

I also installed the trailer wiring harness I bought from Joe Dirt many moons ago. I tried to remove the bumper to do it (and to aid in painting) but the right rear of the bumper got crunched just enough to make it an interference fit. Instead I just popped off the top bumper trim.

3/27/2011

Bought a 1996 Jayco popup camper today. 10 foot box. Pics to come in the following days. This is basically the reason I bought my Explorer.

Excited!

Nice!

I was looking at a camper today... Same vintage, same brand. :)

Great job on the trim too- that looks really good with the red exterior...

We've been looking for a trailer for about 3 or 4 weeks now- even had my parents looking in the Des Moines area where they live. I spotted this one on CL with no pictures but I liked the price and the description. Saw it today and it's a winner. It is wired with a 7 pin connector though so I had to install an adapter- no big deal though.

I plan on painting the rest of the trim hopefully this coming Friday. I'm also going to paint the side steps too.

Here's our new toy. The weather is looking good for this weekend so who knows, maybe we'll take it out for a test spin.

camper%20-%20towing.JPG

camper%20-%20towing%20(2).JPG

It tows well. Haven't had it up to any significant speed- maybe 45 mph. It's wide, that's for sure. It's a couple inches wider on each side than the truck.

We set it up quickly when we got it home just 'cuz.
camper%20-%20setup.JPG

We didn't tuck any of the sides down- we just set it up quickly so the kids could check it out. I can't decide if the faded/peeling decals are going to stay or if I'm going to remove them.

For the mean time, it's going to sit in the garage until I can get it registered, insured and a storage place set up for it. I think I'm also going to do some touch ups here and there. It takes up a TON of space in the garage too.
camper%20-%20garage.JPG

I'm sure there will be plenty of posts about the adventures with the camper.

Its coming along great Tom. The new camper should be fun. Did you do any prep work before applying the bed liner to the plastics? Ive heard it doesn't cure well to plastics. I also found out it doesn't cure well to bondo. Not sure why. Hope it holds up because it looks great. BTW if you are looking for a spray paint meant for plastics check out krylon fusion.

You still liking the Rancho shocks? I'm eying them up ($50 rebate on a set of 4 right now too!)

Matches the truck too. :thumbsup:

Its coming along great Tom. The new camper should be fun. Did you do any prep work before applying the bed liner to the plastics? Ive heard it doesn't cure well to plastics. I also found out it doesn't cure well to bondo. Not sure why. Hope it holds up because it looks great. BTW if you are looking for a spray paint meant for plastics check out krylon fusion.

You still liking the Rancho shocks? I'm eying them up ($50 rebate on a set of 4 right now too!)
I sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and wiped it down. Seems like it took just fine to the plastic. It is easy to get runs- that might have something to do with the plastic.

And yeah, the Ranchos are doing great.

And the color match- believe me, that was accidental.

4/15/2011 Tax Day!

Started off by changing the oil and rotating the tires.

Next I decided to finally tackle painting the rest of the trim pieces and the side steps/running boards. They both had a hint of purple in them as seen an any of the pictures I've previously posted. I never liked it.

painting%20trim%20-%20front.JPG

painting%20trim%20-%20front%20corner.JPG

painting%20trim%20-%20step%20before.JPG

painting%20trim%20-%20step%20painted.JPG

painting%20trim%20-%20painted%20right%20rear%20iso.JPG

painting%20trim%20-%20paint%20left%20side.JPG

I was going to get some pics with all the tape removed, but well..... I didn't. Later, I'm sure.

And then to top it off, I forgot to put the oil cap back on. Smooth- real smooth. Now the fire blanket on the underside of the hood is partially soaked in oil.

Awesome.

Looking good Tom! I did that 710 cap thing on my Mustang once at the track. Oops! :)

Yeah, that stupid 710 cap. I think I've left it off every one of the vehicles I've owned. The explorer didn't make too big of a mess though. It's amazing how the cap is always still there when I realize what I've done- even after driving significant distances sometimes.

Thats a really good looking X bud. I really like the things you have done to it. keep it up and great job!

I actually keep a spare PS fluid cap under the hood, juuuuuuust in case...

utf-8BSU1HMDE3NzUtMjAxMTA0MTYtMTUwNy5qcGc.jpg

Back