Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

8/21/2011

Went Camping this weekend up to Columbine Campground. It's just outside of an old gold mining town called Central City.

We drove past a 4 wheel drive trail as we were towing in. I didn't get any "action" shots really- by most people's standards, it was pretty tame 4 wheeling. Got the truck nice and dirty though.

Columbine%20off%20roading.JPG

Columbine%20off%20roading%20-%20muddy%20(2).JPG

Columbine%20off%20roading%20-%20muddy%20(3).JPG

The new trans cooler certainly didn't hurt while towing. I hope to have the temp gauge hooked up soon.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

8/21/2011

We drove past a 4 wheel drive trail as we were towing in. I didn't get any "action" shots really- by most people's standards, it was pretty tame 4 wheeling. Got the truck nice and dirty though.

It doesn't matter how difficult the trails are, as long as you have fun and get a little muddy! And it looks like you did both. Looks like a fun time.

That does look like some nice camping ground! :thumbsup:

9/30/2011

AUX Oil Filter Install

I've had this B&M remote oil filter kit laying around for a couple months now. I finally decided today was the day.

Started off by removing the front bumper and lower valance:
oil%20filter%20install%20-%20bumper%20removed.JPG

This is the location I've scouted out. The filter has to be at an angle to clear the lower valance with minimal trimming:
oil%20filter%20install%20-%20mounting%20location%202.JPG

I also installed a trans fluid temp gauge sender in a tee housing I pieced together at ACE Hardware:
oil%20filter%20install%20-%20finished.JPG

oil%20filter%20install%20-%20finished%202.JPG

Several people have suggested I remove the lower valance. I was never sold on the idea but I tried it out:
oil%20filter%20install%20-%20no%20valance.JPG

I don't like it. Plus the oil filter hangs below the bumper.

But I'm a dumb-dumb and will be fixing it before I can drive it. I forgot to use teflon tape to seal the threads and it leaks.

10/2/2011

Painting front wiper arms

So the front wiper arms have seen better days. The leading edges were pretty sand blasted from the sand we use on the roads here in the winter. I got some Dupicolor Brake Caliper paint (with ceramic!) and repainted them black.

Before:
wiper%20repainting%20-%20before.JPG

During:
wiper%20repainting.JPG

I didn't get an installed pic yet- sorta got dark.

Anyway, they look a lot better but now the vented plastic under the wipers looks faded. Anyone know how to remove that? Does it just pop out or do I need to get to the underside of it?

If I recall they just snap out, or there is maybe one screw. It was simple. I used krylon fusion. It didn't flake at all but a year and a half later it has faded to gray again.

10/9/2011

Driver Seat Foam Job.

LINK

Really should have done this sooner. Thanks again Joe Dirt!

Agreed. I did the same thing last summer. Its nice and cushy now.

10/13/2011

One Year!

Well, it's been a year since I picked it up. We've had some ups and downs over that year but overall, a great value for the $2000 I paid for it. Some adventures and some learning and growing on both our parts. I don't know what the odometer is at exactly, but it's roughly 128,000 miles, so about 10,000 miles on it over the course of the year.

Here's to many more years to come!

12/24/2011

I don't really have much to update on, just share some pictures. It snowed roughly 12" the other day and it's been great driving around in it and busting down the piles of snow of the neighbors pile up in the street for me. Haven't got stuck- but I thought a couple times it was going to be close. This snow is very fluffy- very powdery. You can see below how it almost looks like a boat cutting through the water- and that picture was taken when stopped.

I went down to the storage lot where I keep my camper to shovel off the roof- and to give me an excuse to go driving through some untracked powder. I think I need some more ground clearance. The running boards are right around 12" from the ground.
snow%20-%20storage%20lot.JPG

And this was after doing a bunch of driving down a gravel road that only one other vehicle had gone down and back. Plus more snow pile busting.
snow%20-%20front%20end.JPG

The bad thing about doing all this- when I park it in the garage, all this snow melts and makes the garage floor a mess.

Oh, and the odometer just rolled 130,000 miles.

5/11/2012

New Gears!

In an effort to make my Explorer a better tow vehicle, I decided to upgrade the gears. I eventually want to also upgrade my tires to 32s or 33s and still have decent gearing in the end. I decided on 4.56 gears (stock was 3.55). I had them installed by Stang5lgt who does tons of 8.8 regears- mostly for Jeep guys.

While he had the rear apart, he found that the carrier bearings were pitted and in need of replacement. So he tossed me the key to his Merc and I went to the parts store for new bearings. The Merc is cool. I'd love to see it in person off-road. Anyway, it was good to get some preventative maintenance done while we were upgrading.

The install took the better part of a day with a short break for lunch.

The end result is pretty cool. The throttle is VERY sensitive now. He told me to take it easy from a start for awhile until they break in a little. The speedometer is off now- probably close to 15 mph. I'll look into which speedo gear I need in the next few days.

Got a camping trip planned for next weekend so we'll see how it does.

5/23/2012

My speedometer was 25% off with the yellow 18 tooth gear that was in there. Last week, I installed red 21 tooth gear that I picked up from a local dealership. That was the biggest available in town (at least where I called). That got me about 9% off. Today I installed the 23 tooth speedometer gear. The speedo and the GPS are basically dead on now.

Took it camping last weekend. WOW! It tows great now. And that was with the 9% error which I believe was effecting shift points. Just driving around with the new gear, it feels even more responsive now. It's actually more fun to drive now.

Fuel economy doesn't seem too bad. Even with towing, the odometer is showing about 320 miles on the tank- which is approximately 9% high. But with towing approximately 213 actual miles, that's not bad. Not bad at all. On the tow to camping, I left the O/D off, even on the fairly flat interstate. On the way back, I left it on in spots. I don't have anything to compare it to with the old gears as I always left it off while towing, but it never seemed to want to shift out of O/D.

Trans fluid temp going back into the transmission reached about 130 degrees while climbing.

Stopped to pick up supplies while going up and the truck stinks. It's definitely coming out of the tailpipe. This was after lots of WOT while going up steep hills.

Glad to see you like the new gears! My explorer has 4.10s and my parents has 3.55s, huge difference in driving the two.

I get the same smell issue when I go WOT or even when i have a heavy foot for a hill or something. I thought my cats may be on their last legs, idk though.

6/3/2012

4wheeling!

Today I went 4wheeling up above Central City. I mostly did Yankee Hill, which I went on this winter with some people in the snow. This time of year the trail was completely clear with the only snow off in the shade of the trees here and there. As you can see from the trail link, it's not a difficult trail, but it was fairly rocky which made it pretty slow going in spots. The 30" tires make even small rocks seem big.

I didn't get much in the way of action shots since it was just me and my 6.5 year old daughter. She liked it a lot- even the really bouncy areas.

Yankee%20to%20Cumberland%20(4)%20-%20first%20rest.JPG

And then I connected with Cumberland Gulch on my way back to the pavement.

This is about the only "action" shots I got:
Yankee%20to%20Cumberland%20(13)%20-%20turn.JPG

Yankee%20to%20Cumberland%20(14)%20-%20pig%20parking.JPG

The gears worked great- especially coming down. 4 LOW and 1st gear had all sorts of engine braking- didn't need to use the brake at all. The transmission temp got up to about 150 degrees (going back into the trans after the 2 aux coolers) while going up slowly. I also seemed to notice a lot of engine heat- the gauge was fine I could just feel lots of heat (windows down and air temp about 70 degrees). Hit a couple rocks here and there that weren't intentional. The side steps on the driver's side took a rock and may have bent it slightly- rock sliders are being pursued.

All in all it was a great time. Can't wait to get out on the trails again!

Nice, i cant wait for snow.

7/26/2012

Body Lift Complete!

Well, it took the better part of a week due to the pace that I worked and because I had to order new mounts for the front and new bolts after I broke one that I was planning on re-using. All-in-all, it was an easy install. I bought the body lift blocks from Zone Off-Road and the bolts from Fastenal. The resulting stance is great. I use to be able to see over the roof- not anymore! And the step in/out feels more like how a truck should be.

Next up is an RLC bumper to do something about that horrible gap up front.

Here it is almost 2 years ago just after I got the new BFGs:
newBFGs3.jpg

And here it is today:
bodyliftcomplete2.jpg

I'm not too worried about the rear bumper. I was able to heat up that plastic closeout piece and flatten it out. Other than the trim not lining up on the side, looks good to me.
bodyliftcomplete.jpg

The front though, needs a new bumper to sit higher:
bodyliftcomplete3.jpg

Tom- does Colorado have tight bumper height restrictions, or could you just modify the mounts to raise it up? Looks good! :thumbsup:

I could raise up the factory bumper, but I don't want the factory bumper. With the mild off-roading I've done (and plan to do in the future) I want something more substantial.

4.56 gears with 30" tires :eek:

The truck does look really clean given how much you paid for it :thumbsup:

Back