Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Too Much Antifreeze

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by X24, October 7, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      3 Days ago I had my truck at the dealer to have them replace some bad seals on my A/C compressor and condenser. 2 days after that I popped the hood after it sat all night and there was antifreeze all over the fan shroud and above the radiator. I opened the cap and a little bit came out of there. Then I looked in the overflow and that was about 1.5" above the cold fill line. I took out the extra (a little over a quart) and took it for a drive. It ran fine and the temp was right where it has always been and did not fluctuate at all. I checked the over flow when I got back and it was up about 1/2", tops. Today I called the dealer to ask if they had put any antifreeze in thinking I was low and they said no. Where could this extra coolant come from?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Hartman

Hartman Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      1996 5.0
      Personally, I don't think that a dealer would admit it even if they had overfilled it. If you took care of the extra and it runs fine now, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      possible they had to remove the radiator "puke tank" to get to the compressor. just a guess here, but they may have just spilled fluid out of the line from the radiator to the tank and got it all over/in the shroud area. when it was started, the air from the fan blew it everywere. then, when they refilled it, they overfilled it.

just a wild guess, and unless it does it again, you have nothing to worry about.