too much oil/ wrong dipstick ?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

too much oil/ wrong dipstick ??

I run 5.5 in my BII because the oil filter is remote mounted.
Having 1/2 quart or so of extra oil is not going to hurt anything, these systems are designed for the masses
I always get my engine warm and let the oil drain for a long long time, hours not minutes....forget quick oil changes, I like to take my time

Yep, I do the same thing and I fill the oil filter with fresh oil (as much as possible depending on the angle of installation) before starting the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ll try 5 quarts. I’ve added that much before and I’ve noticed that it’s still around he halfway mark with all 5.

I’ll try 5 quarts. I’ve added that much before and I’ve noticed that it’s still around he halfway mark with all 5.

1/2 way on the dipstick with 5 qts is normal.

Good info on this thread. Does anyone know the inner diameter of the radiator overflow hose to the reservoir by any chance? :D

1/4 inch on the hose
roscoe

RISE FROM THE GRAVE! This is one of the top comments that pops up on Google so I figured I'd share my fix. This is for a 99 Explorer 4x4. I bought the Dorman dipstick after the OEM handle broke off the original. As you all know there are 2 different sizes. The Dorman did NOT fit my vehicle. I orginally just cut the tip off to match the length of my old one. The problem, this is my daughters vehicle and the shop wouldn't change the oil because it didn't have a proper dipstick. Never ran into that before, but I digress. So while she was here this week I decided to fix it. I had kept the old dipstick. The dipstick is held onto both the Dorman and OEM handles by a small pin. I knocked both of those pins out. Of COURSE the OEM would not fit into the Dorman handle without a modificatoin. All it needed was the top shaved off a little using a grinder and the width slightly thinned out. You could do this with sand paper as well. From there I was able to get the old dip stick into the Dorman handle and put the pin in. That was my fix for this.

Back