Took Explorer in for first warranty service to hopefully fix a few things | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Took Explorer in for first warranty service to hopefully fix a few things

vulnox

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT 202A
Going to be putting a lot of miles on it over the next few months so need to make sure no surprises come up.

So far I have:
The "tick" when starting the vehicle with a cold engine. Thankfully there is a TSB on it, and the dealer should be able to hear it in the morning.

The main reason I took it in is due to the "thump" from the transmission when slowing down for a turn or something, and then taking off again if you get below around 10MPH. That freaks me out when it happens. I see a TSB for the issue, but my vehicle has a build date of June 2011, so past the spec. The tech seemed to take largely the same attitude of, "yeah there is a TSB, but not for your build date", which is frustrating because it happens infrequently enough that I will be amazed if they reproduce it on a short trip.

So that kind of bums be out. The only other issue I asked them to look at was when we roll down the Driver/Pass front windows, they kind of "shudder" when first coming down like they are catching. I had the streaking for awhile, but time and I think car washes has almost eliminated it. Hopefully that is a quick fix.

Anyway, I will let you all know how it goes. I can't imagine them not hearing the tick unless they are deaf, its loud enough. I will be pretty upset if I can't something done for that trans though.

Otherwise, we love the Explorer more and more every week. Things happen to new model year vehicles, I knew that going into it. It has been pretty solid all things considered, and its not like these issues are leaving me on the side of the road. Just things that I don't want to have lead to anything larger later on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to be putting a lot of miles on it over the next few months so need to make sure no surprises come up.

So far I have:
The "tick" when starting the vehicle with a cold engine. Thankfully there is a TSB on it, and the dealer should be able to hear it in the morning.

The main reason I took it in is due to the "thump" from the transmission when slowing down for a turn or something, and then taking off again if you get below around 10MPH. That freaks me out when it happens. I see a TSB for the issue, but my vehicle has a build date of June 2011, so past the spec. The tech seemed to take largely the same attitude of, "yeah there is a TSB, but not for your build date", which is frustrating because it happens infrequently enough that I will be amazed if they reproduce it on a short trip.

So that kind of bums be out. The only other issue I asked them to look at was when we roll down the Driver/Pass front windows, they kind of "shudder" when first coming down like they are catching. I had the streaking for awhile, but time and I think car washes has almost eliminated it. Hopefully that is a quick fix.

Anyway, I will let you all know how it goes. I can't imagine them not hearing the tick unless they are deaf, its loud enough. I will be pretty upset if I can't something done for that trans though.

Otherwise, we love the Explorer more and more every week. Things happen to new model year vehicles, I knew that going into it. It has been pretty solid all things considered, and its not like these issues are leaving me on the side of the road. Just things that I don't want to have lead to anything larger later on.

good luck and please let me know because I am experiencing the same thump in the trans exactly as you described it word-for-word. when i try and get it to replicate it's 50/50 depending on the day which irks me. i have a dealer appt next week and they'll probably won't do anything. They'll ask me to go on a test drive with a tech to reproduce so we'll see if that works so they can do something about it. my build date is 9/11 so again, the tsb doesn't line up either. i really like my truck otherwise but i want to see where everyone's experiences are...

Stopped by the dealership because I left my parking pass in it. Talked to the tech, he said so far they have not been able to reproduce either issue, and since the Trans one is for april or earlier build dates, and the "ticking" or for May or earlier, they can't really do anything for me.

Soooo, just going to keep driving it then. Neither is a huge deal, would have been nice to at least get rid of that ticking though...

Stopped by the dealership because I left my parking pass in it. Talked to the tech, he said so far they have not been able to reproduce either issue, and since the Trans one is for april or earlier build dates, and the "ticking" or for May or earlier, they can't really do anything for me.

Soooo, just going to keep driving it then. Neither is a huge deal, would have been nice to at least get rid of that ticking though...

What about doing a test drive with the tech?

would have been nice to at least get rid of that ticking though...

Have you tried a different oil? Full synthetic? Maybe a different viscosity. I am using Mobil 1's 0w30 now and I think it was an improvement on cold start-ups.

Were you ever able to get the transmission taken care of?

We're still under warranty, but our 2011 did the "thump" twice yesterday. Both times happened during acceleration from a 90 degree left turn.

So, slowed down for the turn, let off brake, began turn-in and when I began accelerating again there was a slight hesitation and then a big thump. It was like the torque converter was acting up. It doesn't happen on a right turn, which makes me think it has something to do with a fluid level?

I'm not savvy on automatic transmissions, I think they're generally witchcraft. I agree, probably will not be able to get a reproduction for a tech. Which is frustrating, if I come in and describe to a T what a TSB says then they should fix it.

I've actually begun considering selling the vehicle. The little things do add up.

I keep getting it also, the dealer won't do anything about it until they reproduce it but it happens so randomly that I thought I could reproduce it several times for them and ended up looking like a total ass. I get the bump after coasting a little bit and then starting to speed up. It's so annoying since the dealer won't do anything until I can reproduce it. However, it still happens. I'm getting paranoid now because my transmission does some rough shifting now.

Select Shift 6-speed

-snip- It was like the torque converter was acting up. -snip-

Not 100% sure about your 2011 XLT, but today Ford advertises the XLT and Limited models have the 6 speed "select shift" transmission when equipped with the 3.5L V6. This tranny doesn't have a torque converter and doesn't use transmission fluid. Its a sealed unit that requires no service during its design life of 150,000 miles.

Its a dual clutch transmission, like the Porsche PDK transmission, so two gears can be engaged simultaneously. The dual clutches open/close at the same instant, which gives seamless gear changes. It uses dry clutch plates just like a manual transmission. So it's an electronically shifted "manual" transmission, if you want to call it that - pretty cool.

YouTube has a few videos about it.

Not 100% sure about your 2011 XLT, but today Ford advertises the XLT and Limited models have the 6 speed "select shift" transmission when equipped with the 3.5L V6. This tranny doesn't have a torque converter and doesn't use transmission fluid. Its a sealed unit that requires no service during its design life of 150,000 miles.

Its a dual clutch transmission, like the Porsche PDK transmission, so two gears can be engaged simultaneously. The dual clutches open/close at the same instant, which gives seamless gear changes. It uses dry clutch plates just like a manual transmission. So it's an electronically shifted "manual" transmission, if you want to call it that - pretty cool.

YouTube has a few videos about it.

Um.. Its actually a six- speed automatic... It was co-developed with GM. You can do a google search and find out more about it, if desired...

You can add tran fluid. Depending on model (aka torque capacity) will determine how you add fluid. Some are more "sealed" than others....

Select-shift just means you can put the selector in M and choose gears manually-within reason.

Its a dual clutch transmission, like the Porsche PDK transmission.

You've confused Ford Power Shift with Select Shift. The Explorer 6F transmission is a slush box auto, with pump and fluid. It was a joint venture with GM.

The Power Shift is in the Focus. The PDK (and VW DSG) is a dual, wet clutch auto shifting manual transmission.

You can feel the auto in the Explorer shift. On the TDI Jetta I had, the only indication you had was the tach...you can't feel the shifts in a dual clutch.

I plan on changing fluid at 50K intervals.

Were you ever able to get the transmission taken care of?

We're still under warranty, but our 2011 did the "thump" twice yesterday. Both times happened during acceleration from a 90 degree left turn...

Hi TxRanger351w.

Have you taken your Explorer to a dealer to have them take a look at this transmission concern? I recommend seeing what they have to say first, and I'll step in if necessary. Keep me posted!

I keep getting it also, the dealer won't do anything about it until they reproduce it but it happens so randomly that I thought I could reproduce it several times for them and ended up looking like a total ass. I get the bump after coasting a little bit and then starting to speed up. It's so annoying since the dealer won't do anything until I can reproduce it. However, it still happens. I'm getting paranoid now because my transmission does some rough shifting now.

Hi 1995E.

I'd like to look into this and see what I can find out. Could you PM me your info, including your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll see what I can do to help!

Ashley

182RG thanks for the clarification. I got pretty excited when I saw the PowerShift transmission, and was looking at a post that indicated it was used in the EX... but its not.

Not yet. It's happened maybe 10 times since we bought the vehicle in 2011. I'm coming up on 31,000 miles, but we have the extended through 100,000 so I'm not too worried about the mileage yet.

Until I can reproduce it reliably and "on demand" I won't take it in. For the same reasons as everyone else has noted - unless you can reproduce it they will not address it. Even if it is a known issue. I had a similar experience with the idler pulley, the service manager insisted he couldn't hear it. With some persuasion he eventually did. :)

Hi TxRanger351w.

Have you taken your Explorer to a dealer to have them take a look at this transmission concern? I recommend seeing what they have to say first, and I'll step in if necessary. Keep me posted!

Ashley

Not yet. It's happened maybe 10 times since we bought the vehicle in 2011. I'm coming up on 31,000 miles, but we have the extended through 100,000 so I'm not too worried about the mileage yet.

Until I can reproduce it reliably and "on demand" I won't take it in. For the same reasons as everyone else has noted - unless you can reproduce it they will not address it. Even if it is a known issue. I had a similar experience with the idler pulley, the service manager insisted he couldn't hear it. With some persuasion he eventually did. :)

Hi TxRanger351w.

I understand. Keep me updated once you take it in and I'll see how I can help.

Ashley

Back