Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Dude you gotta get a tune, it will spool so much better, tune will change everything for the better!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. Yes, the up-down shift schedule is still stock

Dude you gotta get a tune, it will spool so much better, tune will change everything for the better!!!
Its got a tune. I just need a dyno and a smaller exhaust housing on the turbo. 102mm is a little big.

I wonder what the load values look like with some logging. It would be interesting to see the commanded gear you are in, load, afr, rpm. relative throttle position, and inlet air temperature (For my own interest, lol) logged when you do a wot pull.

With logging we should be able to see whats happening. Shifting randomly and early would make me think there is a tps issue. I'd expect that a log will be the only way to get an idea what's wrong.

Your right, its a big housing, I bet its keeping your inlet temps lower. The exhaust leak in the header is probably hurting spool a whole bunch.

You have done some crazy stuff with your truck, Its coming along amazingly well.

Thanks. Im going out to log a few wot runs in a bit.

Fix that exhaust leak best you can will help alot, smaller housing will make aa difference ,
Boost at low remember can be dangerous , it does spool nice when you get going ,

Get a air filter brother, don't let your sexy suck in dirt or rock, to freaking sweet of a project!

Fix that exhaust leak best you can will help alot, smaller housing will make aa difference ,
Boost at low remember can be dangerous , it does spool nice when you get going ,

Get a air filter brother, don't let your sexy suck in dirt or rock, to freaking sweet of a project!
Yeah, lol. Living dangerously with no filter. Im working on a screen today.

Update***
Just did my first real full WOT pull. Off the line was like an 85 Ford Tempo but still managed to get it up to 101mph in 16seconds(via datalogger). My shifting is 90% fixed, just need to dial in the shift points at wot. Im hitting limiter before it shifts 1-2 and 2-3.
When I let off of the gas, the entire road lit up from the massive flame coming out of the exhaust. Pretty scary. Lol

Wish I had someone to record it.

Well, found that I wasnt getting full throttle. My pedal was hitting the sound deadening before i got wot. Cut it out and now its way better. Still have a few things to work out but its so much better now.

Did a few wot pulls to 115mph.
My times looked pretty good.
0-60mph ~6.5 seconds
0-100 ~14.5

I looked up factory rated times and they look like this:
0-60 mph: 8.9 sec

0-100 mph : 27.6 sec

It still feels pretty slow off idle but it is far better than it was.

I tried logging a measured out 1/4 mile and got around 13.5sec @ 97.45mph.

Im going to run a few more. To be sure.

I think the only way your going to get up and moving off a stop is a higher stall torque converter.
Your making progress. Its strange that its so hard to really get these trucks moving though.

What gears are in the rear end?

Gears are probably way easier than a torque converter. lol.

What do you guys think about switching to a t70 turbo? Maybe just a t70 exhaust housing? (it'll bolt right on) Mine is just too big for down low power. Im guessing im around 320whp but im not getting into real boost until higher rpms.

I would do the exhaust housing.
You will start producing boost quite a bit faster, waste gate will open faster, and your iat's will go up.
It sounds like you will be quite a bit happier with a earlier spool.

I'm t3/t4, but rear mount turbo is different as the exhaust gasses have cooled (And there is no exhaust pulsing) by the time the exhaust gets back there.

I would do the exhaust housing.
You will start producing boost quite a bit faster, waste gate will open faster, and your iat's will go up.
It sounds like you will be quite a bit happier with a earlier spool.

I'm t3/t4, but rear mount turbo is different as the exhaust gasses have cooled (And there is no exhaust pulsing) by the time the exhaust gets back there.
Definitely happier if it came on earlier. I mean, I am happy with how it moves considering its a 4000lb suv.

Truth is, how often are you up in the 5500rpm range? Id be ok with higher iat's up top to have boost roll on sooner also. It will be way more fun to drive.

Truth is, how often are you up in the 5500rpm range? Id be ok with higher iat's up top to have boost roll on sooner also. It will be way more fun to drive.
Exactly my thought

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These 4dr Explorers weigh close to 4500lbs, so a 15 second time is definitely fast. It's not like newer sports cars that have variable valve timing and DOHC, big power per CI, 3500lbs light etc.

Keep at it, have fun and be safe.

Back