Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Ditto, this OP turbo system has lots of potential, and the trans plus TC have something to do with the current results. Sorted out a little more, it should see the mid 12's if everything's right. That's about the time weak links may turn up too, parts that are old or original, like u-joints etc. Go at it slow and think through all important parts.

I agree on this. I remember when I was trying to get in the 7's (1/8th mile) with mine it was difficult-major brick wall. The truck would always run 8.20's @ 84.51 in the heat(1/8th) and 12.70's (1/4) around 101-103. I still question why this particular Ex isn't running faster than 13.50's@ 97! Mine was only a v6 on 8 psi of boost. I am curious to see a timeslip. There is so much more that is available in this particular vehicle. Please do not take any of this statement wrong I am just curious. Just for comparison my Ex made 425hp/448 torque on 8 psi. She was tuned to the ragged edge ( I never would have sent a customer tune out this hot).

If I could only get my tune finalized. My laptop went down and then the transmission went. Still haven't replaced the laptop yet.

Haven't updated in a long while. I haven't been able to really do anything recently. Life is hectic sometimes.
The only real update is that I still need my tune finalized and I need a new ring and pinion. Lots of slop in the rear now.
I'm also looking at Upgrading my brakes. They really are terrible at high speed.

Ive been having issues with my wastegates opening way to early (~2.5psi). I even unhooked the boost signal to them and they still open at ~7psi just from exhaust pressure. I'm about to order new springs. Hopefully this remedies this issue.

WOT is good. I actually (accidentally) took it up to 17psi in 2nd gear. 10psi+ pulls HARD. Its unbelievable the difference.

The transmission is doing great! Zero issues. The JMod is nice. Shifting is super fast now.

I drive the explorer every day. I've probably put around 4k miles on it since the transmission build. I actually just took a 600 mile trip last week and averaged 16mpg on the highway.

I really appreciate all of the great comments and info from everyone. I will eventually get back on track and get this 100%

Any update on this dead ass thread? I'm focusing on my X and my mustang both gonna become turbo cars and both will be staying 302. (mustang may change lol)

Back