Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Thanks alot. Yeah. I ditched the power steering pump. Im actually going to use electric steering eventually .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since im only getting the one tune, what would you guys suggest for boost? 6 (spring pressure), 8 or 10. I know that its impossible to tell what the hp numbers will be but i would hate to go for 10psi and blow it.

go for glory, but thats me. the way i look at it, your going to do a 6lb tune. then when thats done, your going to sit back and wounder "hmmmm......i wounder what 8 would have been like?"....then it will start gnawing at you on what a 10 would have done. i cant say boost is different from turbo to supercharger, but i had 9lbs of boost running threw my 302 when it was in my truck and never had a problem at that was with my m90.

My plan is to get it on the road and once the local guy is set up I'll get on the dyno. Im leaning toward 8 for now

8lbs would be as high as I personally would go from the startup since you will be start tuning from scratch. You wouldn't want to melt the pistons in your first week of driving because your tune is too far off. Once you get a decent baseline to follow you can jump the boost up and tune with ease. After you establish a relationship with your tuner minor adjustments are usually cheap or at no cost. Time is money and tuning isn't easy.

I'd only do 6. lol
But, my motor likes to pre-detonate way to much, and I'm told this is not typical. Going 6lbs will get you moving with boost until you can dyno tune and see what your motor will really do.

I tuned myself, and then Tried Don Lasota. Unfortunately, remote tuning did not work for me due to the unusual detonation. Without being either dyno tuned with a device listening for pre-detonation or being there hearing it, a remote tune results in a blown up motor.

I also tried tuning with Don Lasota with logging a knock sensor, but he was not comfortable looking at that since it was unusual. We decided I was best off in my own hands with tuning.

I do know that if I have any questions that I think he can answer, he will answer promptly.

A little before and after. Its subtle.

explorer before after 2.jpg

A little before and after. Its subtle.

View attachment 159689
That is not subtle, that's the Terminator caving in the front of that truck in the movie.

I'd go for 8psi if the tune will be right to begin with. That is safe for the stock pistons/rods/block, if the tune is good. Minor detonation can kill any engine. Your limit is the tune and fuel, not the block etc. I hope to run/test with 8-10psi when I begin mine, before swapping to a built engine.

its kinda funny. after a while when your used to looking at all the crap you have modified, you look back on a stock setup and think it looks.....weird...you'll be that way one day to lol

Looking for flowsheet for my maf. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I did email pmas but no reply so far.
Pmas model-30T 3" tube 42# calibration

photo-16.jpg

Sorry, cant help with this one.
I use maf sensors that have a value file in the SCT advantage3 software. Then I fine tune them from there.
PMAS should be able to get it for you.

Sorry, cant help with this one.
I use maf sensors that have a value file in the SCT advantage3 software. Then I fine tune them from there.
PMAS should be able to get it for you.
I tried pmas with no reply. Called and emailed. Torrie at unleashed tuning said he would just build his own.

Strange. I’m running a pmas and didn’t have a problem getting the files from them

I think its the 'calibrated maf' that's the issue. I'm sure Torrie will get something close in a tune, and take from there.

Update time.
Its running pretty good. I got on it today for the first time and it shot up to 8.5psi (6psi springs). It was pretty wild. 1st gear, 2500rpm, around 1.1psi.
3200rpm, around 3psi
5500rpm, around 6.5psi

2nd gear
Tires break loose and hits 8.5psi before I could get off the pedal.

I will be uploading a video tomorrow

IMG_20180603_131010.jpg

I love it.

Heres what I'm working with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, the important thing is it moves under its own power. working the bugs out sucks however. it took dono and myself i would say a year and a haft to get them out of mine (summer driving only) or at least to the point i was happy with the way it drove. one thing i never realised is just how bad some turbo lag can be. yours was still building boost while you were on it and rolling. mine, as soon as you stomp on it, its instant. keep posting the videos. as for your trans, is it still all stock including stock tune for it?

Back