1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Torque Converter?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by bhults, December 16, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bhults

bhults Active Member

City, State:
      Forked River, NJ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1995 Eddie Bauer
      Here's what's up: It was pretty cold here last night----I've noticed that my trans seems to hold gears longer when it's cold, and once it's warm, it shifts normally. Last night, 1st drive all day, it shifted 1-2 fine, and then from 2-3, it kind of hung....almost like it suddenly lost 20% of the power it was putting to the wheels, then went into 3rd. Upon this happening, the O/D off light began to flash. I've read all the posts on the light, and figure I have a 50/50 shot of it either being something major, or just a matter if clearing out whatever code it threw. I've read about "torque converter slippage".....could this be it?

Also is the ABS, in any way, tied to the O/D off light? I only ask because I noticed that my brake pedal is pulsating slightly upon braking, but I'm not hitting the brakes NEARLY hard enough to activate ABS. Maybe it's a bad, or dirty ABS sensor, but I'm wondering if the two problems were related, or just a REALLY crappy coincidence.

Thanks guys.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      Not sure if the 4r55e takes speed readings from ABS. Doubt its the Torque Converter. Brain, Glacier and OperaHouse are probably the most knowledgeable people on the board regarding these issues. I'm sure one of them will chime in.

4. mjt73

mjt73 New Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      1996 XLT
      My '96 does EXACTLY the same thing, (don't notice anything with the antilock brakes, though) which I'm now investigating. My guess is a shift solenoid or something. I just shut the engine off when the O/D light starts flashing and restart it. The system resets itself, then it's fine until it does it again; it's intermittent, but like you said, only when the vehicle is cold.
      Granted, I have 153,000 miles on it and haven't touched it other than changing the fluid and filter, so I'm sure it's time for something to go haywire. Other Explorers are on their third tranny by now. Should consider myself lucky I suppose. I'll certainly post any findings.

5. bhults

bhults Active Member

City, State:
      Forked River, NJ
      1995 Eddie Bauer
      Please do. Today, when I get home from work, I'm going to disconnect the BATT and let it sit for a while, then reconnect and see if that solves it. Sounds like a lot of folks have been able to remedy it that way. I bought mine second-hand, almost up to 150K, myself, with no major issues. As a matter of fact, it's pretty much been perfect so far. The person I bought the truck from put a new trans in it shortly before I bought it....so, unless the place she brought it to did REALLY crappy work, I have a hard time believing that the whole thing is shot after only 32,000 miles.

6. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      If it threw a CEL the best place to start is to pull the code, 90% of the time this will point you to the problem instead of guessing.

Also have you checked the fluid level?

7. bhults

bhults Active Member

City, State:
      Forked River, NJ
      1995 Eddie Bauer
      Update

Disconnected the battery last night and let the truck stand for about 20 minutes. Re-connected, warmed up, and went for a drive. O/D off light did NOT come on, and trans operated normally. Drove to the gym and back (20 miles round trip), and still no problem. Drove to work today (50 miles) and it operated perfectly!

Strangely enough, that weird ABS symptom stopped happening also. I don't know what kind of code the system threw, but it's gone now!

Thanks guys. :D :D

8. jac-con

jac-con New Member

City, State:
      kansas city mo
      98 eb
      I posted an earlier message about my 98-eb 2 wd v6 exp but i think it was under the wrong thread. I will restate my prob. which is the trans. The code read torque conv.at the shop. i just put in a new engine approx. a year ago and the exp. ran great, when i began to experience the explorer to begin to go into gear when stopped or beginning to brake at a light I knew something was amiss. that is when i took it to the person that put in my engine. He will only put in a remanufactured tran. Since i just spent a big sum on the engine naturally I was feeling like I want to dump this ford. I began to read what others did to their exp. with similar probs. I reset the comp. but I still had the stall when stopping. I called around and I found a shop which gave me some advice that the tranny could have had something to do when i switched engines as there are several solenoids and wires that could have been" jarred". Anyhow i would appreciate any feedback from anyone that could help me either to feel the need to quick fix or a complete reman. By the way i have 100,000 miles on the tran.

9. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      I am having a hard time following what your issue is, does the truck die when you come to a stop, like the torque converter is stil locked up? the truck goes into gear when you are stopped? I dont understand, please elaborate...

10. jac-con

jac-con New Member

City, State:
      kansas city mo
      98 eb
      When I stop the tranny feels as if it goes into a gear . And yes it will die. It would generally restart and i would take off as if nothing happened. But now it will die after stopping and it will not move after putting the car in any gear .

11. mjt73

mjt73 New Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      1996 XLT
      The TCC sensor maybe? Sounds like the torque converter is locking up like it should be but the solenoid isn't allowing it to unlock when decellerating. Just a thought.

12. mjt73

mjt73 New Member

City, State:
      Minneapolis, MN
      1996 XLT
      Hey bhults,
      I'm looking at replacing two things...the EPC solenoid, controls fluid pressure/flow regarding the 2nd-3rd gear shift (hanging), I guess the little screen can get plugged and reduce pressure when shifting and affects the 2nd to 3rd gear shift and 2)the TCC solenoid, Torque Converter lockup solenoid; regarding the slamming into gear and the engine shuddering into a stall, when cold; the torque converter is staying locked up supposedly. The parts are a few hundred bucks and I will probably wait a little while to do mine. That's all I can figure at the moment. Other than that, my trannie works perfectly. Mine only does it once in a while, like you said, when it's cold sometimes. It beats a tranny shop or dealer telling you you need a rebuild or at the least the valve body re-done. Can't tell you how many people I know that have had the trannies rebuilt or replaced for thousands of dollars when a couple new parts will actually do the trick for only a couple hundred dollars. Knowledge is power. Hope this info helps.