Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review

I've read a lot of posts where people are using the e303 cam and gotten decent results but in my opinion I think the better rout would be either what tech man suggested or having a cam made for you. Trucks need more low rpm torque than a mustang, what the "e" cam was really made for. There is a thread regarding who to speak to for a custom cam in here, and the price seamed reasonable. My phone has trouble navigating the forum or I'd post a link.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way, Matt. I have always heard good things about intake spacers but I have no experience with then personally. The stock egr tube seams like it would be able to bend in a way that it would reach, assuming that it's in good enough shape to allow it.

And, BTW...

You do know this is a pinned thread about Torque Monster Headers and not about alphabet cams, don't you?

Or maybe you're a new guy that didn't know any better, huh?

Or maybe you are an old dog that does and is playing the game?

I Wonder?

The POWER of ADMIN Deletion will tell I'm Sure...

-Nick

Really???

As to camshaft selection...as long as you keep the factory heads, you won't get much improvement. Even with these headers. These heads were designed for low rpm torque. If you want horsepower, then add a set of AFR heads and cam. But you will lose bottom end and the car may become a pig around town. So why you may be able to get Comp, Lunati, etc to recommend a stick that can give you some improvement, the bang for the buck factor won't be there with these heads.

Another question for you guys...

I know a lot of you have put a 1" phenolic spacer on along with the headers, but what is the benefit of it? A longer EGR tube is required, right? I got a spacer from someone but am unsure if I want to use it.

I did the homework before I got the TMH and went with the custom extended EGR tube from Bob. Seems like it would be a tight fit with OEM and since OEM can get brittle over time, be wary.

I can't say one way or another how the spacer performs because my headers and spacer were installed at the same time. The one thing I do not like about the spacer is that it makes it trickier to reach the PCV valve as it's hard enough without the spacer. I can get at the valve itself, but it's hard to remove it for Seafoam treatments. I could get a better grip on it before the spacer.

So why you may be able to get Comp, Lunati, etc to recommend a stick that can give you some improvement, the bang for the buck factor won't be there with these heads.

Well, since the truck has been paid off for years now, and all the money I'm throwing into it is just for fun anyway, cost efficiency really isn't my goal. That said, I don't have all the money in the world to spend on it either.

I would like to have a daily driver, not a race engine so I'm not really wanting to swap out major components. If I were going that far, I would go ahead and bore out the cylinders and put new pistons in, but that's not really what I'm shooting for. And I've heard too many people say that the GT40p heads are some nice heads (as far as factory is concerned). I've seen them sell on ebay for $700, so I wouldn't think they were too terrible.

The reason I'm wondering about this is once I get my Torque Monsters in, I'm thinking of going ahead and pulling the engine to do install them, remove the heads and clean everything up as nice as I can. I just figured throwing a new cam in their might be a good idea while I have the engine out. It would be the perfect time to swap it and do the head work.

Am I looking for a 14 sec. quarter mile? Not at all. But some extra HP would be nice. I'm finding that my second gear seems to lack a lot of power at low RPMs. That's where I would really like to see a difference.

Ok, we need to keep this thread on topic please.

This is a header install review thread. Let's take the bumpstick talk to another. Thanks.

You nailed it!Two wires crossed and I cracked the upper!
My spacer was no where near flat!I barely touched the upper bolts and it snapped off the the little flange on the front.I got the upper welded and flycut the spacer.Truck runs and idles great but I'm disapointed in the power increase!It has the flat spot everyone else is talking about.Have to look into better exhaust and a tune.I eventually took it to a mech. friend because I couldnt find the vacuum leak.He switched the wires on the coil instead of the at the plug.Is that ok?Would that cause my flat spot?

Back to the header install,I gar-un-tee I had the hardest time of anyone installing my headers!Everything was rusted solid.Had to cut the p-side manifold in half to remove.Got the header in without removing engine mount bolts or the ac box!Had to cut the collector bolts on the d-side!Broken bolts,broken taps!I would not do this again on a vehicle with so much corrosion on everything.

I too hope to see the improvement everyone is talking about.

One bad spark plug. same thing happened to me after header installation. when i installed the phenolic spacer, i misaligned the gasket but that instantly stalled the engine after starting it up and did not produce any backfiring.

So my best guess would be;
backfiring = bad plug/spark plug wire
engine stalling - misaligned upper intake gasket

smoke is from the headers. mine smoked for about 10 minutes at first start up.

the dipstick is metal zip tied to the header.

I installed mine in about 6 hours with meal breaks, not bad for a rusty truck that has been in the east for more than a decade.

That tin foil insulation needs to be removed then reinstalled later and it gives the installer just enough room to squeeze the passenger header in.

What is supposed to be the point of header spaces? Just to add an extra inch to each pipe? Would the added performance justify the extra hassle?

What is supposed to be the point of header spaces? Just to add an extra inch to each pipe? Would the added performance justify the extra hassle?

Sorry,plenum spacer not header spacer.

1" phenolic cobra upper plenum spacer.

Ah, gotcha. I was wondering what I was missing.

Has anyone heard from Bob recently? I tried emailing him 2 days ago with no response yet and I called him today and it didn't even ring, went right to voice mail. I'm trying to buy another set of header manifold gaskets.

Nope, I emailed him a couple of weeks ago about a replacement gasket and never heard anything.

I don't want to start any rumors, but didn't I hear something about Bob not doing the header thing any longer? Again...I'm just repeating something I might have heard and nothing more. I'm sorry Bob if I'm wrong...

As for good gaskets...the best I have ever found for any application is a MLS gasket. They just flat work, don't burn out, and can be removed easily. I have a set of them from Kooks for an LS6 engine of mine...and if I recall, Bassani supplied them with a set of headers for a 5.0 Mustang set of headers. But I'm sure you can find them out there if you search.

Do they make a gasket for the small piece on the driver's side too? Where can I get one for that vs. making my own?

Oh yea...I forgot about that one. I would bet you are on your own for that...unless you can find an EGR gasket or something that just happens to fit. Not likely though... But that gasket is far enough away from the port that a good quality high temp gasket material should last forever once you make it.

Do they make a gasket for the small piece on the driver's side too? Where can I get one for that vs. making my own?

I got two extras from Bob. The one that came with the headers blew. I got the second one installed by a shop and they didn't secure it well enough and it blew. I then made my own from Remflex material and it didn't last (too soft). I now have the second gasket I got from Bob and it's held up for a year now (a better shop installed it).

My truck runs like crap when the gasket is leaking. Chug, chug, chug. :mad:

Runs great now though. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Celly, any idea where Bob gets those gaskets from? I'll buy that spare one you have! My headers are leaking, not sure where, I think both sides though. That's about 2 months on Remflex gaskets. Gotta decide what to try next.

Back