Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review

I don't have a way of hosting a photo.

If you look at the right side header, there is a fitting that screws into another fitting that is welded to the header itself. The EGR tube screws onto this fitting. If you look at the first page of this thread, there is a picture by MountainGreen with two end wrenches. The upper wrench is tightening the EGR tube while the lower wrench is holding the fitting in question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand the peice you are looking for, Fine thread on one side, course on the other. I think it was used on the factory manifold as well. You may be able to pick one up from Ford or any parts store.

Wow. It's been so long since I've seen a factory manifold, I didn't even think of looking there. I'll dig my old ones out and see what I have. Thanks!!

Yep! Sure was. But rather than remove it, I'm going to pick up a new one. Found it locally for less than $10. For those that need it, it's F1AZ-9F485-A.

Porche Gasket

I've been struggling with finding a gasket for the drivers side 2 piece header.
Bringing the remflex gasket to Canada is massive dollars to ship to Canada.
I then tried bringing in the porche gasket, and the source listed didn't think this gasket would work as its metric, and didn't want to bother even quoting on shipping.

Enter ebay....I found the porche gasket at a reasonable price and decided to bring it in to try. The dimensions will be extremely close to fitting. Has anyone actually used this gasket and can confirm it works?

Attachments

• Porhe Gasket2.jpg
    Porhe Gasket2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 548

I am telling you and telling you... Do NOT put Loctite ANYWHERE in this installation!! In fact, do the opposite. Use antiseize on all bolts. Just make sure you retighten everything the first two or three heat soak cycles and they will never come loose.

Of course, if you like pulling heads to remove exhaust bolts, by all means. Loctite away.

I now have 67,000 miles on my headers. The bolts are as tight as the day I finished. And when I had to pull one bolt for another job not long ago, the bolt came right out as easy as could be.

If you insist on locking your header bolts, there are much better alternatives than Loctite.

Porche gasket is a bust

Ok, The porche gasket works in a pinch, but I don't know for how long.
I had to remove the copper from the gasket, and 'modify' the bolt holes.

We need to try the next option and get an answer as to if its a bolt on solution. I sure wish people would post what doesn't work so we could all learn....I'm sure I'm not the first to try this.<<<<end rant.
Sorry about the crap pic of the gasket on the header, but you get the idea.
So, What gasket do we use that works?

Oh, and, how's everyone's steering shaft? Please check and fix as required.

edit: could a mod remove post 347? Its a pain to relive all those pictures again.

Attachments

• porche gasket.jpg
    porche gasket.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 470
  • steering shaft.jpg
    steering shaft.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 470

I wonder why Bob won't just chime in with an application and part number for these??? Am I missing something somewhere that makes these a national security threat or something?

I wonder why Bob won't just chime in with an application and part number for these??? Am I missing something somewhere that makes these a national security threat or something?

The last I heard from Robert he said he was going overseas to work as a govt contractor. I doubt he will ever be chiming in.

:(

I wondered what happened to him. I think he kind of checked out on us before then as well. Last time I talked to him he really sounded like he was tired of the whole header gig. Too bad...he offered a helluva product.

Read this entire thread over the last couple days and a few other threads. Those of you who installed these on the ground... I'm impressed.

Just got done installing mine and it took me about 4 hours with a lift and full exhaust shop (my job) at my disposal. My truck spent the first 4 years of its life on the east coast so things were a little rusty but for the most part all came out easily.

I did have to clearance the firewall slightly next to the steering shaft but that's the only place there was an issue. Loosened the nut going thru the frame on the passenger side (easier said than done with an axle in the way) but still had to cut the top bit of the upper studs to clear.

Edit: did the egr today. Since I know this is a very old thread it doesn't matter but for anyone reading in the future I used a 3.0 escape egr valve for much easier egr pipe modification. Basically only needed to shorten the pipe in the flex section and bend it about 15° to meet the valve.

cool! need to remember that for when I do mine.

I "think" it may be this one.

GASKET - EXHAUST MANIFOLD TO CYLINDER HEAD - PORSCHE 914 6 '70-'72 / 911 '65-'76 - VICTOR REINZ - LIST: $13.92

part number

GAS 901 111 195 01

657.jpg

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/gas-901-111-195-01/

I only have one of these. Andy already spoke for it.

Mine blew out last week (pretty sure it wasn't the originally supplied gasket) after a ton of searching and ordering various vw and Porsche gaskets I found one that only required a little trimming to fit the bolt holes. I'll update with the part number tomorrow.
http://imgur.com/Rm9tFfA

Edit: Same part number I used.
930 111 191 12 also fits and has a little bigger hole so if your tubes aren't flush with the flange it'll seal properly on the flange itself

Anybody installing headers on a 98 Ford Explorer 4.0 ohv in here? ???

Was there a noticeable power increase without a trailer as in top speed or acceleration?

Was there a noticeable power increase without a trailer as in top speed or acceleration?

Mine had most noticeable low end and mid range power increases.
It does pull harder than stock above 4500 rpm, but down low is where the biggest improvements are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back