• Register Today It's free!

Torsen & Supercharger

snowhunter

Reaction score
City, State
N. Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
Over the past few years, with almost exclusive help from this site, I've done the body lift and torsion twist to make my truck a little more what I want, but I just got a new Ranger for my daily driver so am ready to get a little more aggressive with the 2005 Sport Trac. I want to put a Torsen in the front end (already have an Eaton E-Locker in the rear) but can't seem to find what I need. I found a thread that mentioned Torsen Part# 975420-0207B but they seem to be Out Of Stock. Is there another option? I assumed I would need to beef up some front suspension components (CV axles, etc...) but from what I've read here it seems to not be a concern. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One more question... Any advice on a SuperCharger for it? I have found some conversion kits that are generic to the 4.0 but they seem to require a separate SC from a T-Bird... is this the only/best option?

Thanks for all your help so far. I can't wait to take the ST to the next level! Then it will be a winch and light bar!

20190311_160821.jpg
20181123_141920 (1).jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put a supercharger on my wife's ex
Supercharger install

The real question is how much do you wanna spend

Thanks for the link. You've inspired me! Ordered the supercharger kit today.

Tons of fun

Have fun with that truck, I'm sure you will.

The front Torsen diff, is about the only option besides a lunch box type I read of long ago. Contact Torsen directly and ask them what their projected date might be to make some more. They make them in groups of about 25 from what I last heard. I got mine about a year ago but haven't had time to rebuild a diff, with it.

Have fun with that truck, I'm sure you will.

The front Torsen diff, is about the only option besides a lunch box type I read of long ago. Contact Torsen directly and ask them what their projected date might be to make some more. They make them in groups of about 25 from what I last heard. I got mine about a year ago but haven't had time to rebuild a diff, with it.

I emailed Torsen a few days ago but haven't heard back. I'll give them a few days before I increase the harassment :help:

I'm hearing that Ford switched the front diff from a Dana 35 to a Dana 30 for the 2004-05 ST's and therefore I need a different part from Torsen... also that it must be geared for 3.73 or up (not 3.55).

Is there a code to verify what I have in mine? I can't find the info anywhere.

EDIT: I may have found something... Nuts & Bolts - Which Front Locker Fits This Ford?

^^^ It was actually Torsen that told me the ST switched. I'm working to verify 30 vs 35 and gear ratio so I can get the correct part.

The whole front suspension of the 2nd gen Explorer is supposed to match those Rangers. If it is, it's all of it and you could swap any of the parts, if they changed some item like the diff.

From Rick at Torsen, "Thanks for contacting Torsen. Actually, the -0207B model is suitable for the previous generation of Sport Trac, but is not the same as what is needed for the second generation version. As I recall, your truck has a Dana 30 front axle - not the Dana 35 that the -0207B fits. They are similar, but not the same. Our part number for the Dana 30 is 975420-0831A. Be advised, however, that this only fits axles with 3.73:1 or numerically higher gear ratios. It will not fit with 3.55 or lower ratios."

According to the fourwheeler.com article linked above the fact that my diff cover has 10 bolts means it is a Dana 30. This link Torsen® Traction specifies that the -0207B diff is only for ST up to 2003, so that would be supported by Rick's email since that part is for a Dana 35 and not the Dana 30. Does that mean the '04 and '05 ST's have a different front axle than the '01-03 ST's?

If my truck does in fact have the Dana 30, then I would still need to figure out the gear ratio and I don't know how to do that as the tag is not on the diff bolt. Thoughts?

I'm sorry, I mixed up threads and thought you had a later ranger.

The Sport Trac did change and you have the 2nd generation of it. I'm not sure what it is, like the 3rd gen Explorer or something else. It's good to know Torsen makes that diff, that suggests it's popular enough that it's the same as other models and years.

Check your VIN tag, on the door or jamb. That has the axle code on it. Take the axle code and look it up online for the Sport Trac, it should be easy to identify. Most Fords for decades use a letter code for a limited slip rear, and a number for an open diff. The fronts are all open of course, stock. You can also climb under the back of the truck and look at the tag on the diff, one will show the ratio, and if it's LS or not. That number starts right next to the mounting bolt, it also has other characters which are unrelated to the ratio.

Most later trucks will be at least 3.73:1, I'd guess only a low option base model could have an odd ratio like 3.55:1, so expect to find on the tag "3 73" or "3L73", or "4 10" or "4L10", the main choices in stock 8.8 trucks after the early 90's.

I'm looking for the front diff

I'm looking for the front diff
To find the gear ratio, look at the rear diff, that always has a ratio tag on it. The front and rear are the same ratio, and the front will not have a tag that tells you the ratio.

CDW621R, I did not know that. Thank you.

No trouble, there's many ways to do the same thing. The official way will be the dealer's method, get the whole VIN number and let them look it up. Then they get to convince you to buy something more. Hunting parts is a special skill, people here share how to do it best.;)

Just an update...

All the parts are here. I had a leak in the thermostat housing that I got fixed and have replaced the lower control arms, upper and lower ball joints, end links, and outer tie rod ends (I did the upper control arms and inner tie rods a year ago). I also installed a MagnaFlow Exhaust.

I installed the fuel pump that came with the supercharger kit (that was a PITA) and have been running 91 Octane through it before installing the supercharger. I don't know if it's the octane, the pump, or the exhaust, but my mileage has increased nearly 20%.

It's about time to start on the blower. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Just an update...

All the parts are here. I had a leak in the thermostat housing that I got fixed and have replaced the lower control arms, upper and lower ball joints, end links, and outer tie rod ends (I did the upper control arms and inner tie rods a year ago). I also installed a MagnaFlow Exhaust.

I installed the fuel pump that came with the supercharger kit (that was a PITA) and have been running 91 Octane through it before installing the supercharger. I don't know if it's the octane, the pump, or the exhaust, but my mileage has increased nearly 20%.

It's about time to start on the blower. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
Please do I'd love to hear about A supercharged sport trac. That's awesome. How much do those kits cost? Are they usually plug and play or do you need custom parts made?

Moddbox . Com

I got the top plate attached to the supercharger and got the pulley installed. I'm hoping to tear the truck apart over the holiday weekend and have a Supercharged Sport Trac by the weekend!

20190701_215530.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the top plate attached to the supercharger and got the pulley installed. I'm hoping to tear the truck apart over the holiday weekend and have a Supercharged Sport Trac by the weekend!

View attachment 171525
Awwww man that's awesome you definitely gotta keep us updated on that. Would love to see it all finished and see dyno results of that. Enjoy that man.

Back