Total fluid/filter change on 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L V8 AWD 222,000 Miles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Total fluid/filter change on 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L V8 AWD 222,000 Miles?

fiddlesticks81

Reaction score
City, State
Lolo, Missoula County, Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer V8 XLT
Wanting to change all these out tomorrow. I'm unfamiliar with this model not to mention Fords in general. I'm a "convert" now you could say LOL :) Anyways I really need advice on the best fluids and filters to use on this. To sum it up when I go to O Reilly's what should I buy and how much?

The tranny fluid looks real brownish, no flakes of metal in it though so I'm pretty surprised there. I'm leaning towards buying this newer type Lucas Universal tranny fluid and adding some Z Max Transmission additive for it. Next would be Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 10w-30 Oil and Hy-Per Lube and Fram Tough Guard Filter. Being the amount of mileage I also want to drop the pan out. Already got the air filter but anyhow heres the rundown

1.What Transmission Fluid/How Much/Additives/What filter brand?
2.Oil (same questions as above)
3.Coolant 50/50 or straight? Also need to know how to flush cooling system
4.Tools and equipment?

This is my sole vehicle right now and I want it to last long as possible, know that all the info you give is greatly appreciated. Buku mega thanks :)

Welcome to the site.:wavey:

Run the high mileage Mobil 1 with a WIX, Purolator or Motorcraft filter. These are all good filters.

The Mobil 1 is good stuff and it isn't any more expensive when you take into consideration that you can go 7,500 miles between changes instead of 3,000 like the cheaper oil.

Hope this helps,

Tony;)

Back