Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Total loss of electrical power (except locks)

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by ksmith0110, December 1, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
    NE Ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer
    I just bought a 2003 Explorer. 106k, no rust and a rebuilt tranny.
    Now for the problem, it has no electrical power but locks. No headlights, interior lights or anything else, just locks. I put a new, fully charged battery in and tried. Nothing. Just locks. Can't even get it out of park, without using a screwdriver. Cables look good.
    I am thinking it's got to be something stupid that just isn't popping out at me. PLEASE HELP!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
    NE Ohio
    2003 Explorer
    I fixed it. There was a main harness by my left foot and it was loose. I tightened it and everything now works.

4. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omaha, NE
    06 Explorer Limited V-8
    Good for you for finding the problem! Was this under the dash or behind the kick panel?

And thanks for posting the solution. Others will benefit from your experience.

5. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
    NE Ohio
    2003 Explorer
    It's visible without removing the kick panel. The book calls it the bulkhead electrical connector.

We Support Our Troops!