Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Total loss of electrical power

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ksmith0110, December 1, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
      NE Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer
      I just bought a 2003 Explorer. 106k, no rust and a rebuilt tranny.
      Now for the problem, it has no electrical power but locks. No headlights, interior lights or anything else, just locks. I put a new, fully charged battery in and tried. Nothing. Just locks. Can't even get it out of park, without using a screwdriver. Cables look good.
      I am thinking it's got to be something stupid that just isn't popping out at me. PLEASE HELP!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ.
      1994 Explorer Limited
      Main power fuse?

I have to say I'm a little concerned about the "screwdriver bit"???

Please explain.

Does the engine start?

OH wait a minute Me thinks your anti-theft system has been triggered!

If so the usual way to recover from this is to:

1. Lock all the doors and close them.

2. Use the key not the fob or pad if so equipped, to unlock the drivers door and get in.

3. Shut the door and lock it using the switch on the door.

4. Insert key into ignition.

5. Turn key to ignition position DO NOT TURN TO START POSITION.

6. Use your remote entry fob to unlock the doors. If your vehicle requires two presses to unlock all the doors do it.

7. cycle the door locks at least 3 times. Leaving the key on. Note: some models require turning the ignition off and back on in between lock cycles. so if at first you don't succeed repeat all the steps using the alternate method.

8. Remove the key and get out.

9. lock the truck with the fob.

10. Now get back in as you normally would and start the engine. DONE!

The reason this is so specific is to establish "human presence" or more specifically "owner presence" It demonstrates that the person attempting to start the vehicle after a "incursion" is in fact in possession of both the key and the fob and is not under duress by a car jacker or sum such nasty thing.

Final note on the anti theft reset: If you do not have a fob you will need to get one from the dealer. To program a new fob you will need to ask the dealer for assistance.
      I know how to do it on my truck but not for your year.
      The procedure above is the General method and may not work on all fords, and this is if I'm correct about the Anti-theft being triggered in the first place. But I'm pretty sure. The clue is that only the power locks are working, if they weren't you could not do the reset!

4. FR-425

Media:
      City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ.
      1994 Explorer Limited
      OH one last little thing,

If you are a thief and are using this site to try and get around the anti-theft system, "screwdriver?" Just keep in mind the police can ask this site to provide them with your IP address and then in short order find YOU!

5. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
      NE Ohio
      2003 Explorer
      I fixed it. There was a main harness by my left foot and it was loose. I tightened it and everything now works.

6. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
      NE Ohio
      2003 Explorer
      The screw driver trick is in the manual. There's an access plate under the steering wheel housing. You slid it to the side and there's a hole to put a screwdriver in and turn and it unlocks the shifter, in case the battery goes dead. Not to steal anything.

7. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
      mass
      92 explorer
      Welcome to the Explorer Forum:wavey:

8. FR-425

Media:
      City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ.
      1994 Explorer Limited
      OH I see. got it. I'm try'n to think why the designers would want the vehicle to be locked in park when the battery is dead.

Nothing personal, Glad you figured it out!

9. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
      NE Ohio
      2003 Explorer
      So now that I've driven it a couple of days, I find the the power seat is non functional. I've checked the fuse and it's good. I guess I have to pull the seat out to look at the wiring now. Is there anything that I should pay close attention to?

10. FR-425

Media:
      City, State:
      Phoenix, AZ.
      1994 Explorer Limited
      Hi ksmith,

You will probably have better results if you re-post this question in the "3rd gen stock" forum.

This thread is still in the "new member forum" but is gettin' out of date.
      All treads are organized by date so the longer it sits it gets pushed off the first page. So, you will get some new people looking at your threads if you keep updating by starting a new tread for each different topic in the forum that best matches your question. Such as your power seat in "stock" forum, or engine probs in "under the hood" section etc.

Also the custom Google search at the top of the page only searches this site, Very Handy!

The reason you are hear'n from me is that when I responded to this post the first time it, automatically "subscribes" us to the tread and we then get e-mails letting us know that there's a new post in the thread, and it will also be in "my posts" which I review until the thread reaches a conclusion.

Hope this helps ya get the most out of this site.

11. ksmith0110

ksmith0110 New Member

City, State:
      NE Ohio
      2003 Explorer
      Got the seat fixed too. Found a couple of wires rubbing the track, taped them up and replaced the memory seat fuse (the truck doesn't have memory seats) and it's all good now.