Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Touch Screen/Sync acting up

Discussion in '2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by 247hoopsfan, August 10, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 247hoopsfan

247hoopsfan New Member

City, State:
    San Francisco
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2018 XLT Sport Package
    For the last few days my Sync has been acting up. At first I thought it was my phone connection, so I disconnected and deleted my phone, then re- connected. But it seems to be the entire system and touch screen. When I click the button on the wheel to activate synch, it is supposed to respond "Please Say a Command." But now it stutters and there is a 10 to 20 second delay, sometimes even longer between words, and then it freezes. Then today I realized I couldn't even change radio stations or sources on the touch screen. Any ideas, or do I have to take it in? I am on the phone all the time in the car on business.
    Pretty disappointing on a $48,000 car. Fortunately, my company pays, not me.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    The APIM is the computer the controls it.. I would be willing to bed it is bad and needs replacing. It causes freeze ups, black screens and "performing scheduled maintenance" messages which are a nice way of saying, I am rebooting because I crashed.

4. 247hoopsfan

247hoopsfan New Member

City, State:
    San Francisco
    2018 XLT Sport Package
    Thanks, I guess I'll have to take it in for service.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It's under warranty so let the dealer check it out.

Peter

6. VandyCWG

VandyCWG New Member

City, State:
    Spring Hill, TN
    2017 Explorer Limited

Actually - My 17 Explorer is at the dealership now (3rd time) for this exact issue. Issue is, the tech says the testing he does on the unit says the APIM does not need replacing. They called some higher level support this afternoon and have to run it through more testing before they can replace an APIM.

Granted, I am only the customer, but I told them the APIM was going on the first dropoff.

Be prepared to be frustrated waiting for them to get to the conclusion. I have been through 2 dealer 'updates.'

7. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    any chance that any phones you have had connected at some point had large phone books that it downloaded?

8. 247hoopsfan

247hoopsfan New Member

City, State:
    San Francisco
    2018 XLT Sport Package
    Yes I have a phone book downloaded. But I already deleted the phone and re-connected. And it's not just the phone, the touch screen is not responsive either. It takes forever to change a radio station, and voice commands for anything are delayed to the point of being useless.

9. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Is your phone book rather large? Unfortunately deleting the phone and even doing a master reset doesn't fully reset user data in the APIM. If you have a large phone book you downloaded it could be stuck processing all the entries which would explain the slow responsiveness.

10. 247hoopsfan

247hoopsfan New Member

City, State:
    San Francisco
    2018 XLT Sport Package
    Yeah, pretty large phone book full of contacts. Hasn't given me any problems until now. This morning when I drove the car my touch screen was black for 15 minutes even though the radio was on. I have a feeling it is more than just a big phone book.