• Register Today It's free!

Touch Screen/Sync acting up

247hoopsfan

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 XLT 4WD
For the last few days my Sync has been acting up. At first I thought it was my phone connection, so I disconnected and deleted my phone, then re- connected. But it seems to be the entire system and touch screen. When I click the button on the wheel to activate synch, it is supposed to respond "Please Say a Command." But now it stutters and there is a 10 to 20 second delay, sometimes even longer between words, and then it freezes. Then today I realized I couldn't even change radio stations or sources on the touch screen. Any ideas, or do I have to take it in? I am on the phone all the time in the car on business.
Pretty disappointing on a $48,000 car. Fortunately, my company pays, not me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The APIM is the computer the controls it.. I would be willing to bed it is bad and needs replacing. It causes freeze ups, black screens and "performing scheduled maintenance" messages which are a nice way of saying, I am rebooting because I crashed.

The APIM is the computer the controls it.. I would be willing to bed it is bad and needs replacing. It causes freeze ups, black screens and "performing scheduled maintenance" messages which are a nice way of saying, I am rebooting because I crashed.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to take it in for service.

For the last few days my Sync has been acting up. At first I thought it was my phone connection, so I disconnected and deleted my phone, then re- connected. But it seems to be the entire system and touch screen. When I click the button on the wheel to activate synch, it is supposed to respond "Please Say a Command." But now it stutters and there is a 10 to 20 second delay, sometimes even longer between words, and then it freezes. Then today I realized I couldn't even change radio stations or sources on the touch screen. Any ideas, or do I have to take it in? I am on the phone all the time in the car on business.
Pretty disappointing on a $48,000 car. Fortunately, my company pays, not me.
It's under warranty so let the dealer check it out.

Peter

It's under warranty so let the dealer check it out.

Peter

Actually - My 17 Explorer is at the dealership now (3rd time) for this exact issue. Issue is, the tech says the testing he does on the unit says the APIM does not need replacing. They called some higher level support this afternoon and have to run it through more testing before they can replace an APIM.

Granted, I am only the customer, but I told them the APIM was going on the first dropoff.

Be prepared to be frustrated waiting for them to get to the conclusion. I have been through 2 dealer 'updates.'

any chance that any phones you have had connected at some point had large phone books that it downloaded?

any chance that any phones you have had connected at some point had large phone books that it downloaded?
Yes I have a phone book downloaded. But I already deleted the phone and re-connected. And it's not just the phone, the touch screen is not responsive either. It takes forever to change a radio station, and voice commands for anything are delayed to the point of being useless.

Is your phone book rather large? Unfortunately deleting the phone and even doing a master reset doesn't fully reset user data in the APIM. If you have a large phone book you downloaded it could be stuck processing all the entries which would explain the slow responsiveness.

Is your phone book rather large? Unfortunately deleting the phone and even doing a master reset doesn't fully reset user data in the APIM. If you have a large phone book you downloaded it could be stuck processing all the entries which would explain the slow responsiveness.
Yeah, pretty large phone book full of contacts. Hasn't given me any problems until now. This morning when I drove the car my touch screen was black for 15 minutes even though the radio was on. I have a feeling it is more than just a big phone book.

If it is a phone book issue, how do you stop/delete it?

Back