• Register Today It's free!

tow hook

jrpackman

Reaction score
City, State
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
this is sort of a dumb question but where is the best place to hook up a tow strap to on the front and back, i used to hook it up to the bumper but i pulled it out some, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah the bumpers will bend with enough force on them. Sad to say, with out a tow hook bolted to the frame, it is a sad situation. I have a tow hook, in my hitch receiver for the rear, and am having 2 hooks bolted to the front soon. Other than that, I dont know a "safe" place to hook up. Try a "search" in the threads.

Welcome to the site. I've pulled my Ex out of light stucks using the bumper ball, and used a shackle once before I had a ball in the bumper. Probably time for a receiver hitch in the rear(they make them for the front as well) and some frame bolted hooks in the front as well. Searching for "tow hooks" will bring up how to threads with pics, like mentioned above.

in the back, i've got a 2" hidden hitch (just a regular trailer hitch, hidden hitch is the brand) that i just put a receiver hook in when i go off road.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95594
as for the front, i've got square steel tubing welded between the frame rails and chevy blazer hooks welded to that coming out the front.
05-30-08_1547-1.jpg

0902081544.jpg

05-30-08_1548.jpg

Tow Hooks

Any more ideas on Front Tow Hooks? Anyone taken any tow hooks off a Ranger for a 2nd Gen Explorer?

cut a hole in the bumper or something and make a rear tow hitch style bracket between the front frame rails to tie them together, cant be on the cross-member for serious pulling/yanking, not just towing :D

Without cutting holes in the bumper would be better.

I've got mine bolted to the frame in the front and use the harbor freight tow hook for my rear reciever.

Any more ideas on Front Tow Hooks? Anyone taken any tow hooks off a Ranger for a 2nd Gen Explorer?

These are the only photos I have of them, they were sort of made on a whim and I didn't think about taking any pics.

Need a body lift?

Alright, so i have an explorer just like TRJ360's. I saw where he mounted his tow hooks on the front and went out to look at mine. I noticed my frame about 3 inches or so above the opening on the bumper. Do TRJ360's tow hooks attach to the frame? If so, would i be able to mount them without a body lift? I guess i could make some sort of L attachment thing, but how sturdy would that be??
Thanks in advance for the help.

Alright, so i have an explorer just like TRJ360's. I saw where he mounted his tow hooks on the front and went out to look at mine. I noticed my frame about 3 inches or so above the opening on the bumper. Do TRJ360's tow hooks attach to the frame? If so, would i be able to mount them without a body lift? I guess i could make some sort of L attachment thing, but how sturdy would that be??
Thanks in advance for the help.

The square tubing welded to the frame is sitting on top- it's entirely possible that you could weld some tubing to the bottom of the frame and have it stick out the same way. I don't have a stock explorer handy to check it out though.

But yeah, my setup is just square steel welded across frame to frame with the hooks welded to that.

Welding tow hooks to the frame is highly frowned upon. Some offroad parks may not let you in if they see they are welded. Reason being, the welds may crack and that hook and your strap may go flying. The best and safest way to attach is by grade 8 bolt or using a receiver hitch. If your going to weld them on, you should either be a pro welder or have a pro do it. This isn't to say that anyone isn't a competent welder, its just in the interest of safety. Two grade 8 half inch bolts per hook should be more than enough for most on this forum.

Dan

I installed my tow points when the body lift went on, since the bumper was off.
The front frame horns are were you want to install yours. I used 10.9 grade 165 mm hardened bolts, washers and nuts. I opted on going completely through the frame rail, and using lock washers.

Drilling the frame here is not that much fun. It is folded and a little thicker where you need to drill.

Another option is installing a front hitch. Here is a couple of pics from moutaineergreen's how to thread.

work_051_Small_.jpg

towshackle_002_Small_.jpg

Welding tow hooks to the frame is highly frowned upon. Some offroad parks may not let you in if they see they are welded. Reason being, the welds may crack and that hook and your strap may go flying. The best and safest way to attach is by grade 8 bolt or using a receiver hitch. If your going to weld them on, you should either be a pro welder or have a pro do it. This isn't to say that anyone isn't a competent welder, its just in the interest of safety. Two grade 8 half inch bolts per hook should be more than enough for most on this forum.

Dan

I'm not disagreeing with you but the person who welded them on for me was actually a professional. That would definitely suck if they broke off!

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not disagreeing with you but the person who welded them on for me was actually a professional. That would definitely suck if they broke off!

Its cool, as long as the guy knew what he was doing. I can vouch for the drilling of the front frame, definitely not fun, but not impossible either. The fold is what really messes you up.

Dan

I just installed tow hooks on my 96 eb yesterday. Drilling through the frame is a lil bit of a headache but if you use a couple of smaller bits 1st it makes it much easier/faster (start with a small bit then use a medium size bit then the actual sizr bit you need). Also i would recommend gm tow hooks off early 90's s-10/blazer because they have a nut plate that goes inside the frame. Beats fishing a nut and wrench in there imo not to mention you can get a pair from a junkyard for like $10-15.

Mike

Back