Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tow without trailer brakes

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by EmilioD, February 22, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. EmilioD

EmilioD New Member

City, State:
    Rochester NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95 XLT
    I have a 95 xlt 4wd, and I will need to tow a 2000lbs (loaded) trailer from Upstate NY to NJ and back again empty (900lbs).
    This truck has the 4 flat trailer connector (just the lights) and the trailer has the 6pin round connector which has the brake pin.

I am buying an adapter for the lights wiring, probably this one,
    http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Plug-Simple-47165-Adapter/dp/B0002Q80EK

I would rather not have to get a brake controller for this one trip, other than the expected additional ware on my brakes (4 months old), and the need for increased stopping distance, are there any real safety or other mechanical issues which I should be aware of?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Germantown, MD
    1998 Ford Explorer
    No controller needed for a 2,000 lb load -- just give yourself extra distance and maybe you'll save your brake pads/rotors from unecessary wear. And make the trip during the day, much easier to spot the prancing deers on I-390/17 :)

4. EmilioD

EmilioD New Member

City, State:
    Rochester NY
    95 XLT
    Great, thanks for the info.

Just curious now, whats the max load before the controller is necessary? I may be doing a few more runs with heavier loads in the distant future.

5. EmilioD

EmilioD New Member

City, State:
    Rochester NY
    95 XLT
    oh one other thing, the trailer I will be using has brakes. Is there anything that I will need to do to make sure that the trailer brakes are off?
    or will the lack of the 12v pin and the lack of signal on the brake controller pin disable the trailer brakes or will it cause them to lock (like a break-a-way), this trailer also has a separate break-a-way sensor as well to lock the brakes should it disconnect.

do I need to bridge any pins or anything, or is it fine and normal?

We Support Our Troops!