Tow without trailer brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow without trailer brakes

I have a 95 xlt 4wd, and I will need to tow a 2000lbs (loaded) trailer from Upstate NY to NJ and back again empty (900lbs).
This truck has the 4 flat trailer connector (just the lights) and the trailer has the 6pin round connector which has the brake pin.

I am buying an adapter for the lights wiring, probably this one,
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Plug-Simple-47165-Adapter/dp/B0002Q80EK

I would rather not have to get a brake controller for this one trip, other than the expected additional ware on my brakes (4 months old), and the need for increased stopping distance, are there any real safety or other mechanical issues which I should be aware of?

No controller needed for a 2,000 lb load -- just give yourself extra distance and maybe you'll save your brake pads/rotors from unecessary wear. And make the trip during the day, much easier to spot the prancing deers on I-390/17 :)

Great, thanks for the info.

Just curious now, whats the max load before the controller is necessary? I may be doing a few more runs with heavier loads in the distant future.

oh one other thing, the trailer I will be using has brakes. Is there anything that I will need to do to make sure that the trailer brakes are off?
or will the lack of the 12v pin and the lack of signal on the brake controller pin disable the trailer brakes or will it cause them to lock (like a break-a-way), this trailer also has a separate break-a-way sensor as well to lock the brakes should it disconnect.

do I need to bridge any pins or anything, or is it fine and normal?

Back