Towing 2nd Gen with Tow Bars? Possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing 2nd Gen with Tow Bars? Possible?

Mustang4mikey

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer & 97 Mounty
I was wondering what would it take for me to tow my X behind my Mounty with Tow Bars? (Just like those RVs do)

Would i need to install Manual Hubs on the X not to mess up my TC & Tranny?

i would imagine towing in Neutral would kill my tranny in no time, and 1k miles is a long trip!

Any Suggestions?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for a car carrier company, or rent a trailering untif from... God forbid "Uhaul".

No manual hubs available for the second gens. You need a neutral tow kit to be installed by Ford in the t case. Is the Mounty at least a V8? That's a lotta weight for a long time.

No manual hubs available for the second gens. You need a neutral tow kit to be installed by Ford in the t case. Is the Mounty at least a V8? That's a lotta weight for a long time.

yeah, Monte is AWD V8.
So ford has a Kit that they sell.....interesting

Get a huge tranny cooler. I'd also have the fluid changed.

I'd also make sure that you have fresh brakes.

i would imagine towing in Neutral would kill my tranny in no time, and 1k miles is a long trip!
I've never seen an Explorer pulled with a tow bar and I dont even know where on the frame to attach a tow bar.

But if you can get the two bar on there, then (on the Explorer) you can disconnect or better yet, remove both driveshafts. Doing so would completely isolate the transfer case, transmission and engine from the rotating axles.

I would HIGHLY recommend you don't do it. Flat towing one vehicle with another that is of the same relative weight is asking for a serious accident. Braking and handling will be serious issues. Also consider that an Explorer/Mounty 5.0 is maxed out at about 6400 lbs combined for towing and cargo, and that's with 4.10 gears, a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes. If you happen to get in an accident while towing like that, you may have problems getting your insurance company to pay a claim.

I've never seen an Explorer pulled with a tow bar and I dont even know where on the frame to attach a tow bar.

But if you can get the two bar on there, then (on the Explorer) you can disconnect or better yet, remove both driveshafts. Doing so would completely isolate the transfer case, transmission and engine from the rotating axles.

It can be done. My buddy had his '98 set up to tow behind his motor home. He has a Blue-Ox kit that basically puts a dual receiver hidden in the nose and your tow bar attaches to that. Ford offers a "Neutral Tow Kit" for the Explorers that lets you lock the vehicle's Control Trac transfer case in neutral.

Ford offers a "Neutral Tow Kit" for the Explorers that lets you lock the vehicle's Control Trac transfer case in neutral.
I'm glad you mention that and sorry for the thread hijack but what comes with this "Neutral Tow Kit"?

Cauz I was going to suggest removing the transfer case motor and moving the shift rail to the Neutral position but this is probably a bad idea since then the shift motor would have to be left off which would then grind away at the planetary gears as these gears are freely floating around (free as in free to run into each other at different speeds - leading to the grinding). So now you have me wondering: does this kit lock the transfer case electronically by controlling the shift motor (giving it that neutral position which it would normally just skip over) or is it a mechanical device that holds the shift rail in the Neutral position?

I think the neutral tow kit just allows the t case to be shifted into the neutral position like most other vehicles.

I think the neutral tow kit just allows the t case to be shifted into the neutral position like most other vehicles.

Yep..exactly what it does. It's a little electronic package that allows the xfer case to go to the neutral position and stay there.

I would HIGHLY recommend you don't do it. Flat towing one vehicle with another that is of the same relative weight is asking for a serious accident. Braking and handling will be serious issues. Also consider that an Explorer/Mounty 5.0 is maxed out at about 6400 lbs combined for towing and cargo, and that's with 4.10 gears, a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes. If you happen to get in an accident while towing like that, you may have problems getting your insurance company to pay a claim.

I will need to have a talk with my agent and see what they say.
As for towing, Just over the weekend i got to see f150 dragging another f150. Same did the Ram 1500. thats where i got the idea from.

I will need to have a talk with my agent and see what they say.
As for towing, Just over the weekend i got to see f150 dragging another f150. Same did the Ram 1500. thats where i got the idea from.

I've pulled an F-150 on a trailer behind my F-150....Doable on a trailer with trailer brakes and the load properly distributed, but I wouldn't want to try do flat tow it any distance....

Just because someone else did it doesn't mean it's a good idea....

I've pulled an F-150 on a trailer behind my F-150....Doable on a trailer with trailer brakes and the load properly distributed, but I wouldn't want to try do flat tow it any distance....

Just because someone else did it doesn't mean it's a good idea....

so, in other words, it would be a better idea to tow it on a trailer rather than flat out.

Flat-towing it should be fine, provided the towed vehicle has the neutral tow kit installed. IIRC, it's a lighted button they install on the dash, as well as flash the GEM to accommodate it. While stopped, you hold the brakes, shift to neutral, press the button, and the shift motor shifts the t-case to neutral. Not all the second-gens are capable... It's been a while since I saw the compatibility list.

The biggest issue flat-towing is the brakes. It's iffy at-best. I wouldn't recommend doing it regularly.

-Joe

Back