Reaction score
City, State
Salinas Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4WD
2016 XLT 4WD
Some background:

I have a 2016 XLT , 3.5 engine with 4WD/AWD
It came without the towing package and, looking at retro-fitting the factory one, i spent quite some time researching the subject
Numerous post and threads on this forum warn that you can only get a 2000lbs tow rating instead of the 5000lbs if the package was not installed by the factory
Obviously, I you could get ALL the parts included in the towing package, this warning make no sense whatsoever ( I m not talking liability but rather mechanical and physical performances)
The BIG issue raised is that the transmission used on the towing package is not the same on non 3,5 turbo trucks
Basically the 6F55 is used instead of the 6F50
I read some comments that the highest rated 6F55 is used because the extra load created by towing,,,, that is 100% BS and completely backward
Transmission are rated by the amount of torque and horsepower FROM the engine that they can handle
An engine putting out 300lbs is putting out 300lbs, REGARDLESS of the load towed, being nothing, 2000lbs or 5000lbs
There is no different part # on the tranny (6F50) used by my truck if equipped with towing package or not
Part # is DA8Z-7000-D
And don't tell me this non-sense that you can have different parts with the same part #
Also, the radiator used on my truck is exactly the same with or without the oil cooler/towing package
Part #FB5Z-80005-A.
As a matter of fact, that part translate to a Motorcraft part # (RAD119) that specifically state that is is also for the oil cooler option

Anyhow, as long that you use all the factory parts, the end result is no different that what the factory did
obviously, the above only apply to my truck since i have not researched other years/models

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have something here, but for the non 3.5 EB engines, the factory is adding a transmission cooler as part of the tow package.
If you run some VINs on ETIS for non 3.5 EB EX, you will see that a transmission cooler is added to the build list.

You may have something here, but for the non 3.5 EB engines, the factory is adding a transmission cooler as part of the tow package.
If you run some VINs on ETIS for non 3.5 EB EX, you will see that a transmission cooler is added to the build list.
I do have a tranny cooler with a by-pass valve.
The interesting part about it is that, instead being a tank in the coolant radiator, it is incorporated on the side on the A/C condenser
And there is no reference nor part # for a different/separate tranny cooler for tow package

I do have a tranny cooler with a by-pass valve.
The interesting part about it is that, instead being a tank in the coolant radiator, it is incorporated on the side on the A/C condenser
And there is no reference nor part # for a different/separate tranny cooler for tow package
I couldn't find a part# either, other than it being referenced in ETIS.

What about the electronics? The "tow/haul" mode? Is it something built into the 6F55, that's not in the 6F50?

What do you think the chances of Ford covering warranty issues caused(in their opinion) by you towing over 2000# after you've made these changes?

Also, the radiator used on my truck is exactly the same with or without the oil cooler/towing package
Part #FB5Z-80005-A.
I posted the following statement earlier based on another member's post.
"The standard rad is 19mm thick while the one that comes with the tow package is 26mm."

Peter

What about the electronics? The "tow/haul" mode? Is it something built into the 6F55, that's not in the 6F50?
wrong, all the wiring for the 7 pins, fuses and relays, connector for the brake controller and connector for the tow/haul are all there
as a matter of fact I already got the switch ( BB5Z-13D7309-EA) and panel ( FB5Z-7804338-EA), connected it and everything work as it is supposed to
The tow/haul icon in the IC light up and the transmission pattern change
Not surprising since the the 3,5 NA engine with the towing package use the 6F50 and not the 6F55 as wrongly reported so many times on this forum

What do you think the chances of Ford covering warranty issues caused(in their opinion) by you towing over 2000# after you've made these changes?
very good because I'm using all the necessary factory parts and they already provided all the wiring and electronic.
To deny warranty they will have to prove the direct relation between what I did and the issues and if it is due to a FORD part that i installed, they will have to prove that it was not installed correctly or that it is not the correct part for the application.
You can't deny a claim on a transmission because you put an after-market radio.

I posted the following statement earlier based on another member's post.
"The standard rad is 19mm thick while the one that comes with the tow package is 26mm."

Peter
that is a blanket statement with no fact to support it's application to all years/models
100% sure that in the case of MY truck the radiator is exactly the same

wrong, all the wiring for the 7 pins, fuses and relays, connector for the brake controller and connector for the tow/haul are all there
as a matter of fact I already got the switch ( BB5Z-13D7309-EA) and panel ( FB5Z-7804338-EA), connected it and everything work as it is supposed to
The tow/haul icon in the IC light up and the transmission pattern change
Not surprising since the the 3,5 NA engine with the towing package use the 6F50 and not the 6F55 as wrongly reported so many times on this forum
Looks like you're good to go.
All of this fear mongering could be Ford's way to pocket more money.

Not to argue - but here is the FordEtis report for my 2017 Ex with factory equipped class III tow package...

upload_2017-4-18_16-14-45.png

Not to argue - but here is the FordEtis report for my 2017 Ex with factory equipped class III tow package...

View attachment 96611
Thanks for posting. Just make it more confusing.
As I said before, I only did research on my specific truck/year/model
I have ordered the factory shop manual, that should shed some light on this issue

I have ordered the factory shop manual, that should shed some light on this issue

You seem to be making an argument about myths that you don't back up outside of what you say are myths. I have an '15 XLT with the tow package and it very much does have the 6F55 tranny. I, myself, have not researched what the differences are between the 50 and 55 in the 6F vain but, I'm sure there are some. As far as your claim of HP/Torque, it's not the numbers more than it is the tolerances needed to handle the extra load. Maybe the 6F55 is a bit beefier than the 50 therefore having a higher tolerance level? They put an oil cooler on it along with a heavy duty radiator. Changed the electronics on the tranny to widen the shift points (I think:confused2:)hence, the tow button and I can't think of the other things they did to accommodate the tow package but, I believe there are a few more. Anyway, this really isn't an issue for me. I have the package. It's got what it's got. End of story.:chug:

This is the sticker inside the driver's door on my '17 XLT w/ Class 3 Tow Package...
159356A9-44DD-4DE3-80D0-B2D61629B9A6_zpszicvtpbt.jpg

Per the Owner's Manual, transmission "C" (indicated under the "TR" line near the bottom), is a 6F55.

This is the sticker inside the driver's door on my '17 XLT w/ Class 3 Tow Package...
159356A9-44DD-4DE3-80D0-B2D61629B9A6_zpszicvtpbt.jpg

Per the Owner's Manual, transmission "C" (indicated under the "TR" line near the bottom), is a 6F55.

And the '3F' under axle indicates a limited slip diff(s) w/3.65 gears. That was something else I couldn't think of off the top of my head.:thumbsup: However, this may be part of the 4WD 'option' and not so much about the tow package but, I won't rule that out as it would only be logical to have lower gears for a 'tow package'.

And the '3F' under axle indicates a limited slip diff(s) w/3.65 gears. That was something else I couldn't think of off the top of my head.:thumbsup: However, this may be part of the 4WD 'option' and not so much about the tow package but, I won't rule that out as it would only be logical to have lower gears for a 'tow package'.

My XLT does not have 4WD.

Here are the stats on my build sheet for my Ex:

Vehicle Specific
Information 1FM5K8D89FGB50960
VEHICLE INFORMATION
VEHICLE
DESCRIPTION: 2015
EXPLORER 4DR
VERSION/SERIES:
FORD SERIES
PAINT COLOR: Ruby
Red TC
BODY STYLE: 4 DOOR
WAGON
DRIVE TYPE: 4 WHL
L/H FULL TIME DRIVE
PAINT CODE: RR
ENGINE: 3.5L Cyclone V6
Petrol TIVCT
AXLE RATIO: 3.65
Ratio
GROSS VEHICLE
WEIGHT: 6120 LB.
GVW
ENGINE
CALIBRATION: EUB1SN0A
AXLE CODE: 3J RADIO: With Premium
AM/FM Sterio/CD
TRANSMISSION: 6 Speed
Auto Transmission 6F55
WHEEL SIZE: 20X8.5
ALUMINUM MACHINED
WHEEL
SYNC VERSION: V3
Gen2
FLEX FUEL: N TIRE: P255/50R-20
BSW A/SEASON
VHR ACTIVATED: Y
GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY START
DATE: 28-JULY-2015
BUILD DATE: 08-
DECEMBER-2014
RELEASE DATE: 08-
DECEMBER-2014
SALE MILEAGE: 00159
OUTSTANDING FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
NO CAMPAIGN MESSAGE(S) FOUND
EXTENDED COVERAGES
NO ESP INFORMATION AVAILABLE
| SSSC
End of Report for: 1FM5K8D89FGB50960
© Copyright 2002-2016 Ford Motor Company. All rights reserved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elis on my 2011(non ecoboost) with factory tow:

Primary Features
Build Date: 25.03.2011
Vehicle Line: Explorer
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Version: Ford Series
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6 Petrol TI-VCT
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto Transmission 6F55
Drive: LHD 4WD (FTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.39
Emission: With California/Green State Req
Air Conditioning: Dual Zone Auto Temp Control A/C