Towing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question

DA73

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Just sold the family cabin and I decided to take my grandfathers old rotting boat and see if I can't give it new life. Issue is I can't figure out whether I can, or even should try to tow it. I've seen towing capacities for Gen three explorers stated as low as 2500lbs and high as 7000lbs. From my understanding, I have some sort of towing package, but since I bought the vehicle used, I do not know which one. Even after referring to the manual. It does seem I have a transmission cooler and a factory hitch, but the hitch seems smaller than a regular sized hitch.

The boat itself weighs between 2700-3500 lbs plus a 1,000lb trailer. So lets say 5000lbs maximum. Still trying to figure out exactly which model boat I have... the original manual seems to be missing.

I'm driving the 4.0L v6 4x4 eddie bauer edition with 220,000 mi.

Does anyone know how I can check my car to know which towing package my car has? And has anyone tried to tow a heavy load with a vehicle this old?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Refer to the vehicle spec sticker in the door jam. Look up the axle code and use that with your manual.

CFB4F04A-42C1-42BF-88E2-312123F24645.png
If you have the 1 1/4 inch hitch it’s not up to the job.

Looking at your manual your towing limit is 3,400.

How far are you towing? If it’s long or hilly, I’d be leery towing with that many miles on a v6 transmission.

Need to know which axle you have. If it's the 3.73 it's worth getting the Curt aftermarket hitch for it and it will tow it just fine. Just don't forget to turn the overdrive off.

I've done 5000lbs just fine but with a trailer that had electric brakes (I have a brake controller and 7pin connection).

1fv69d.jpg

IMG_5692a.jpg

Back