Towing questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing questions.

Hello all! I am glad I found this forum! Hope to learn alot from all of you. I have several questions regarding towing on my 2004 Explorer 4.0. Hope somebody can clarify things for me as there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

1. What is the towing capacity on my 2004 V6 explorer with class II hitch? (I do not have the manual)

2. Can I change out the class II for a class III without drilling new holes?

3. Will I need to change out my gear from 3.55 to 3.73 if I want to haul a travel trailer that weighs 4,000 lbs?

4. What else will I need to add to the explorer? (I was told a brake controller)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1: 3235# with the class II hitch, 5755# with the class III. That's max trailer weight ONLY.

2: Yes, the class III hitch will swap right in without any drilling or modifications

3: Regearing to 3.73 will help, but I don't know if it's completely necessary. Probably depends on the terrain you intend on towing over. Lots of hills would make the 3.55 a real dog with that amount of weight I would think. If you are going to the trouble of gearing, why not go a bit higher to 4.10? that would make a big difference.

Also, whatever you do, make sure to push the button on the end of the shifter stalk to turn O/D OFF when you are towing.

Not sure on the rest but I'm sure someone will chime in.

BTW here's a link to the manual in PDF format on Ford's site: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO4EXP/~MUS~LEN/41/04expog3e.pdf

Hello all! I am glad I found this forum! Hope to learn alot from all of you. I have several questions regarding towing on my 2004 Explorer 4.0. Hope somebody can clarify things for me as there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

1. What is the towing capacity on my 2004 V6 explorer with class II hitch? (I do not have the manual)

2. Can I change out the class II for a class III without drilling new holes?

3. Will I need to change out my gear from 3.55 to 3.73 if I want to haul a travel trailer that weighs 4,000 lbs?

4. What else will I need to add to the explorer? (I was told a brake controller)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your towing rating is no more than 3500 lbs MAX, with an empty truck. Swapping the hitch only will not change that. Yes, you would need to change your gearing, and probably add some cooling, to get 5000-5500 lbs max tow rating, to tow a 4000 lbs (loaded) camper.

If that 4000 lbs is the empty weight, you likely need more tow vehicle, because it will weigh 4600-4800 lbs when you load the camper.

Anybody tow travel trailers with V6 explorer?

Thanks guys! I was told the travel trailer I want to get is 3600 lbs empty (2003 Rockwood Roo 232). I plan to use this around California campgrounds, not extremely rough terrain, but for sure up steep mountains. I can not afford a new truck right now, so I expect to use the Explorer for at least 2 to 3 years. I would tow this trailer 5 to 6 times a year. Does anybody else have experience using a V6 4.0 Explorer for towing lite travel trailers? Will this put extreme stress on the Explorer engine and tranny? Will I be accelerating the life expectancy of this vehicle?

Brake controller, Hitch and transmission cooler all a must. Gear change is very expensive but without it you will lack more than just power. The entire drive train will be stressed much more. You can modify to exceede the manufacturers tow rating but it is very invloved and expensive. You will definitly accelerate wear on the truck.

I'd echo joecrna, but it will do it. Watch the tranny temp, lock out O/D, pack light and don't get in a rush.

Back