Toyota springs

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
I have been wondering about using some toyota rear leaf springs on the explorer.
such as these at the bottom of the page

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are really like 2.35" inches wide whereas the explroe springs are like 2.65" wide... both are technically considered 2.5"
edit: also the toyota shackles are wierd... they have a huge bolt hole, and i know the explroer mounts the rear mount through the frame, it may not accomodate the huge hole in the yota springs as it has wierd bushings in it

I looked into the all-pro leafs awhile back, and IMO, they should work. The 56" is about right, and the center pin measurements are close, but not dead on. If I remember right, the center pin distance was within an inch or so. I have tried to look up my references for stock Explorer center pin measurements and height measurements, but to no avail. You may be able to use this info for comparison though. As I remember, the yota leafs are MUCH more "curvy" than Ex leafs.

From an All-Pro representative:

Center Pin measurement:
3" = 26"
4" = 26.25"
5" = 26.5"

Height*:
3" = 11.5"
4" = 12.25"
5" = 13"

*height=with leaf on gorund in ^ fashion, the unsprung distance from the ground to the top of the highest leaf

Thanks guys that is good info, I have also been looking at these springs my friend Dale has them on his 4runner .
gibby_s.jpg

I have been thinking about going back to spring under with 5-6" lift springs.
I am going to be needing to replace my current spring setup (SOA) because because the leafs are bent again, this is the third set I have bent, I don't know if this is because I tow some, axle wrap, tired springs or the geometry of spring/axle/shackle is wrong.

What my springs end up looking like
9883IM000908.jpg

that pic is of the last set I had on.

Back