TPMS Fault...need help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Fault...need help!

Ok, so we've had a TPMS Fault light on for some time now. My wife took it to the dealer while it was under warranty and was told it was not the sensors, but rather it was some $800 computer at fault. We've dealt with the issue for some time now, so I didn't figure that installing aftermarket wheels could make this any worse...wrong! Before, the light would clear by pressing the reset button, that was it. Now it alerts every 45-60 minutes of driving with the new wheels installed.

So I purchased 4 VDO Redi-Sensors and had a reputable tire shop install them. They were unable to get the new sensors to "learn" after 4 tries. I attempted the process myself with a HDD magnet and had no luck. So what else could it be? The OE wheels/sensors will not "learn", nor will the new wheels with the Redi-Sensors. What's the next step?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife took it to the dealer while it was under warranty and was told it was not the sensors, but rather it was some $800 computer at fault.

There's not a "TPMS computer", only the SJB (Smart Junction Box) which is the inside fuse box, simply speaking. Did the dealer replace it?

The OE wheels/sensors will not "learn", nor will the new wheels with the Redi-Sensors.

IF, they replaced the SJB and it didn't fix it did you not pursue the warranty repairs further?

The dealer should be able to pull a DTC code and pinpoint the problem.

Check your mail

Unfortunately at the time this happened, my wife was dealing with her divorce from her ex. When they told her they would not cover it under warranty (shady dealer, extended warranty) she let it drop. Now it has 107K on the clock and obviously no warranty. No work has been done on the system until I tried having the sensors replaced yesterday.

Oh yeah, the BIG D. That can be pretty distracting, been there.

See if you can find someone to pull the "Body" DTC codes for you and then post them here or email me.

Keep an eye out for one of these.
TMPS reset fob

another one

Why is everyone I know that has a tpms it's always broken? Are they that fragile? BMW, MB, Corvette, Expedition. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that.

Yea, I'd give anything to not have to deal with this damn system myself. My Yukon XL and GTO seem to drive just fine without it!

Yea, I'd give anything to not have to deal with this damn system myself. My Yukon XL and GTO seem to drive just fine without it!

Not everyone has an issue with TPMS. I put new rims and sensors in late 2009, retrained the system and it has been just fine since. Maybe I'm just lucky (that would be a first!).

Back