Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

TPMS Sensor Issue - Mercury Mountaineer 03

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Traxiss, February 25, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Traxiss

Traxiss New Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    This problem has been driving me crazy for months now and no one seems to know what the real issue is. I will try to give as much info as possible because most the fixes I find for this issue don't apply to my situation.

I bought the car used. I took my car to get new tires and after they were installed, I got "Tire pressure sensor fault". This wasn't a big problem because I just hit reset and it goes away. Months later, the TPMS sensor in my right front tire had sprung a leak. I bought a TPMS sensor online that was supposed to work with my car and supposed to require no reprogramming, it's Redi-sensor brand. However, I started getting a new warning, "Tire Pressure Very Low." This goes on every few minutes and is accompanied by a noise and you can't just shut it off. I have lived with it ever since. I thought it might be a problem with the new sensor. I took it in to my shop, and they discovered that the REAR left tire sensor was giving a reading of ZERO pressure. SO I replaced that one with another Redi-Sensor (I assumed that was the reason I had the new error, not because of the first one I replaced) However, I am STILL getting the warning! They tried to reset the sensors with the magnet and get the same error. I have driven it for two weeks, on the highway quiet a bit, and it still won't go off. The only way it goes off is if I am in my car for a LONG time...40 minutes or more.

Also, I found out that I do not have a spare tire, but someone told me it doesn't keep tabs on the spare tire if it isn't there. I suspect the RIGHT rear wheel was the spare, as there is evidence of an accident to the right rear.

And since I didn't have a spare all along, why would this problem start after having/driving the car for several months?

I plan on buying a new spare soon but I have a feeling this problem will not go away with that. Does ANYONE have any idea why I can't get rid of the Low Tire Pressure warning? Am I just to assume a product that is designed to work with my vehicle actually doesn't work with my vehicle? HELP!

-D

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    The spare is a steel rim. It won't match the other four, so you'd know if your spare was on or not. Spare doesn't have the TPMS in it, so the addition of a spare won't help.

If your Ford dealer is any good, I'd suggest have them look at it.