Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Trailer Brake Controllers Explained

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by MountaineerGreen, January 20, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Albino 94LTD

Albino 94LTD Recovering from Moab 2016 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newcastle Wa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      White 94 Limited
      Callsign:
      KG7PKQ
      2003 Lincoln Aviator

On the Aviator, it's above the gas pedal.

The paper that came with the plug indicated it was above the glove box but it sn't

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jmden

jmden New Member

City, State:
      Washington State
      1997 Explorer
      Where is it in the 1997? I'm just starting to look. Have towing package...

4. JoePop

JoePop New Member

City, State:
      Hoover, Alabama
      2012 Explorer
      Does anyone have a 2012 Explorer who has installed a P3 controller? In October 2011 when I ordered this vehicle I included the factory trailer harness (7 and 4 wire) along with the Class III hitch anticipating pulling a small trailer.

Now for my issue, I understand that the factory wiring harness has a connector for the brake controller somewhere under the dash. Some tell me its near the left side, some near the center console and some near the right passenger side. Does any one know exactly where the factory trailer wiring harness connector is located under the dash in a 2012 Explorer Limited 4WD?

I have remove the lower panel under the steering wheel and tried to find it. No joy. I pulled the side step over plate and the carpeting on the right passenger side (where the major wiring harness is located) and couldn't find it. Some information said it is located near the radio in the console.

I am hoping that a forum member can help me before I resort to going to my Ford dealer to have him connect up the cable (p/n 3035) I purchased from Teknosha along with the P3 brake controller.

Thanks, Joe

5. JoePop

JoePop New Member

City, State:
      Hoover, Alabama
      2012 Explorer
      Good Info on Brake Controller: Found My Pig Tail for Factory Wiring

Last week I posted a note on locating the factory brake controller pig tail on my 2012 Explorer. Well after searching for it I finally decided to go to the local Ford Dealer and ask. They were sympathetic and the Service Advisor looked at my vehicle and said "I think it is located in the center console stack where the radio is just behind the left hand panel. The dealer was booked up and couldn't assign a tech to find it. I ask him if there was a local place that could help me. He send me to H&H Truck and Accessories in Pelham, Alabama as they install hitches, controller, etc.
      I went there and asked if they could find the pig tail for me. One of their mechanics found it in about 2 minutes. It was located above the parking brake on the left of the drivers side. Not where the Ford dealer said.

So for all of those who have a 2012 Explorer with the factory towing package, the pig tail is located above the parking brake. H&H didn't even have to remove the panel below the steering wheel or the panel on the left side where the headlight control is located. He just reached up and found it. Guess he has done this several times. It took only a minute to plug in the wiring harness (Teknosha p/n 3035-P) to the female plug in the vehicle and the to the P3 controller which I mounted just forward of the drivers right knee, where many have mounted brake controllers.

Now I am ready to hitch up my camper and set all the options on the P3 and enjoy safe trailering.

Joe

6. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      I didn't have the issues installing the controller that many of you did. The dealer installed it as part of my purchase of the camper. Its a Tekonsha(sp?) voyager.

I am going to have to mount the plug inside the bumper as MountaineerGreen did however. The techs mounted in in a bracket that is attached to the bottom of my receiver.. and the receiver is lower than I like! So... what would be the best way to make that hole? A hole saw made for a wooden door? or using a die grinder?

Got it done. Hole saw worked great. thanks for the inspiration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: March 1, 2016
    7. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      The more I read this thread, and the more I see Brake Controllers mentioned in other threads the more I decided this should be stickied. Its good info.

8. jwb7605

jwb7605 New Member

2012 Explorer XLT
      :hammer:
      Wow. You took all the sport out of me trying to ask the same exact thing!
      I'm looking for a PLUG, and not just a wiring harness? :redexplorer: