1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

trailer build - Mobile home frame into car hauler

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by franky4885, July 28, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. franky4885

franky4885 New Member

City, State:
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 slt
    Hello all, I am new member to serious explorations and was hoping you all might have some good advice for me. I am in the process of building a flat bed car hauler for my hauling business I just started, and have just purchased a 12' x 55' mobile home trailer frame. I was planing on cutting the length down to 30' and using the extra 25' of framing to weld in some more supports and to make the ramps. Have any of you tackled such a job, and if so..... what would be some good starting points? anyone know what the actual GVW would be for this size frame? and how far apart should I put my D rings so that I have adequate restraints. I also wanted to know if any of you would happen to know what the bumper rating is on a 97' suburban k1500, I think I should probably put on an aftermarket receiver that I can bolt to the frame...... lots of questions, and a huge job ahead of me, but I picked up the frame for 300 bucks, so it is well worth it!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. 1Aauto

1Aauto EF Vendor

City, State:
    mass
    92 explorer
    Welcome to the site. Sounds like a pretty cool project to me.

5. kert0307

kert0307 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Pella, Iowa
    '00 Sport and '89 B2
    I have heard of people doing this before. Make sure to add some trailer brakes to at least one of the axles. I would definitely get a receiver hitch for the suburban, pulling that from the bumper would be sketchy.

What are you planning on hauling?