Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Trailer Light Hookup

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by pjm1954, September 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. pjm1954

pjm1954 New Member

City, State:
      Meredith NH
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 xlt 4 door
      I have a 96 xlt and My trailer lights for the ranger boat and snowmobile trailer will not work. If I hook up another truck to the trailers the lights will work, so I know its in the truck. I bought one of those plugs that plug in between the left rear light and the right rear light . The lights on the truck will work blinkers and all but not the trailer lights. I do not understand it???????HELP
      Thanks in advance:confused:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Sounds like a power or ground problem. I'd check and make sure you have both of those.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      I have a 97 and I think that the two years are similar w/r/t the trailer wiring. On mine, there is a connector just in front of rear bumper, just to the passenger side. If you have this, this is the point to make your connection. Ford sells a short jumper harness to convert this to a standard 4 wire trailer conn. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54788

If you are hooked up to this connector and still have no lights, it is possible that you have a blown fuse. The trailer lights are isolated from the other lights by 3 separate relays. There is a 20A fuse which supplies the power thru the relays. The fuse is located in the Power Distribution Box under hood near LH fender. The fuse location is either #7 or #8 (the schematics arent consistent) but it is definately a 20A maxi fuse. The Left Turn / stop relay and Right Turn / Stop relay are both located in Aux Relay Box #1 which is under hood next to LH fender. The Park Lamp relay is located in Aux Relay Box #4 which is behind trim panel at LH rear wheelwell.

5. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Did the trailer harness kit have a seperate ground wire to hook somewhere else on your truck? Those type only have three wires that connect to the plug at the ehnd of the wire. You definitley need a ground wire running to the trailer......

6. ERIC

ERIC Active Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      '96 XLT
      Dogfriend...do you know if there is anything special about the Ford converter...I was just going to buy a converter from the trailer supply place. If the Ford version is simply a jumper that converts from the round 8-pin plug to the standard 4-pin flat plug, then I'll be able to get this wrapped up today.

Thanks!

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
      Yep, the Ford harness converts from the round connector in the wiring harness to a standard 4 pin flat connector. Its just a jumper harness, there arent any converters or other components.

8. ERIC

ERIC Active Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      '96 XLT
      Bingo, Dogfriend...OK I'll be trekking up to the store to make yet another exchange in a couple of hours. I hope this is the last one as I am sure the store clerks are getting tired of me constantly buying then returning wiring harnesses.

Thanks for the help.