• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Lights

Marc Svatora

Reaction score
City, State
Harbor Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Interceptor Utility
I'm trying to hook up trailer lights on my 2015 interceptor utility. Unfortunately the location to put the T junction shown for the regular explorer doesn't exist. Instead of a nice and easy place to unhook a wiring harness and hook the trailer lights in there's some kind of police light hookup. Where is the junction I can clip the trailer hitch lights located at?

As an added bonus, the fuses for trailer lights are installed in the fuse box. Is there a trailer light hookup already installed somewhere?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be under the bumper cover behind the pass rr wheel. If you have no back up sensors, the wiring should just be capped off. You would remove cap, insert t plug and put cap in other end.

If you have a used piu that was in service, there's no way to tell what mods may have been done to it. You may need to post some pics.

Should be under the bumper cover behind the pass rr wheel. If you have no back up sensors, the wiring should just be capped off. You would remove cap, insert t plug and put cap in other end.

If you have a used piu that was in service, there's no way to tell what mods may have been done to it. You may need to post some pics.

Exactly where the junction was on my 2015 and of course check that the fuse is in place, since mine was not and I had thought complex problem, that was simple fuse :)

Trying to post a pic but am having no luck so far.

Welcome to the Forum Marc.:wave:

Peter

Turned out it was in the right position. There was some sort of adapter on it and I was able to pull it apart. Now to figure out why the blower motor won’t work. Just replaced the resistor, no joy.

Fuse?

The resistor was bad , replaced it and nothing. Tested at the motor, it’s getting juice. Going to tinker with the motor and plan on replacing it.

Going to bring this one back to life as I have a follow on question. So the place that installed my hitch used the above mentioned "T" connector, but some of the wire corroded and I have had to repair. But my question is: This T junction thing seems like a whole bunch of unnecessary wires, given that the other side of T junction is open (going nowhere). Would it not be far simpler to just have connector that plugs in and has ONLY trailer wires (in my case simple flat 4 wire) that come out of it?? If such an item exists, any ideas as to where I might find one or what the part numbers might be?? Mine came with the Ford "Ready for the Road" lights, if that makes any difference on this connector. Also if I could only figure out how to de-pin the plug removing all the excess wires I could replace corroded socket and life would be good. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Back