Trailer wiring.......Again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer wiring.......Again

dagall

Reaction score
I know I saw it on here the other day, but can't find it now. I bought an '06 and want to convert it to the Class III with the 7 pin. I see the one blue wire under the bumper, but not sure about wiring it up. Where is the the brake harness under the dash? I saw the link for the hitch on another post, just can't seem to locate the info for the '06. Thanks

You need the pigtail from Ford to easily add the brake controller. It may be in the glove box.. I had to buy one and I think it was about $20. It wires to the brake controller and then simply plugs into the factory wiring above the gas/brake pedals. Mine was clipped up underneath just above the parking brake pedal. By doing this the blue wire at the back is now powered when the brakes are applied. obviously you will have to convert from teh dtandard 4 pin to a 6 or 7 pin.. I put on a 7 pin. This does not give you a 12V power source at the 7 pin to charge a camper battery though.. I had to run a new red wire from the 7 pin up the passenger side and then I connected it to the factory harness (where its already fused). There is a large connector behind the passenger front wheel (kind of behind the wheel well) and there is a large red wire on the side of the connector coming from the engin bay and you will notice that there is no wire continuing on to the rear (only used on factory 7 pin harnesses). THis is where you need to tap in to for the constant 12V..

Its actually fairly easy. Good luck with converting the Class II to Class III. Its welded. The only way without spending a fortune is to put an aftermarket class III on just below the Class II... I didn't because I think it will look funny.

James

Back