• Register Today It's free!

tranny help

ttavenieriii

Reaction score
City, State
kissimmee florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt
ok so yesterday i was drivin throught the wood and heard what sounded like the tranny grinding. as i kept driving for another few feet to varify my findings, the truck stopped moving. know wen it was in drive it made the noise likeit was tring to shift but it couldnt, what i mean is the sound sounded like when ur driving and u put the truck in park while still moving it makes that noise. well it did that while i had it in drive. know i had a friend hook up to me o pull me home and i noticed i had drive again. so later lat night i drove to the gas station for a test drive and when i hit 40 u could hear the noise again but if i jump on the gas it had power on demand what could this be please help

next item is i found a tranny that is off a ranger that is auto 4wd with the 4.0 ohv. my question is will the tranny match up to my explorer with a 4.0 sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the transfer case..

what would make u think its the t case???

Well its just a possbility, not 100% on it. But the transfer case can slip into Neutral if you stress it because the shift fork can deflect/bend a little (which is a bad thing).

well after being pulled a few feet it shift to drive just fine know but still no reverse maybe i just neeed new trans and t case does anyone know of someone selling

Well it would be a waste to just throw parts at the vehicle w/o really knowing whats wrong. Since you still have no reverse, drop the transfer case and check the input against the rear output.

the sound sounded like when ur driving and u put the truck in park while still moving

So you've tried that?

It is the t-case. Crawl under it, look at the rear output shaft of the t-case. I would bet ATF is leaking there and if you grab the driveshaft you can push it up and down some.

actually know that u mention it... when i checked the t case it was low on atf so i filled it up. the next day after the drive to work i noticed fluid on the floor so when i crawled up underneath it the front seal of the t case. which would mean a new seal is needed but to change that i have to tear the t case apart corect?
but that also does not explain the reason for it not shifting into low or does it?

Back