1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Tranny issue

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by nikbob, August 6, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. nikbob

nikbob New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 explorer sohc 4.0
    I went fishing this weekend and I was driving home about 70 mph when the transmission appeared to disengage and started revving highly. I put the tranny in neutral and the noise/revving ceased. I put the car back in gear and continued to drive. It seems to happen when I let off of the accelerator, I give it gas and it re-engages. Can someone give me an idea about what I am faced with? Thanks.

I have a 1997 4.0 SOHC with control trac and the O/D light is not on.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. snow580

snow580 New Member

2000 Explorer
    Have you had the transmission serviced recently? If not it almost sounds like possibly the filter is plugged up.

4. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    Transfer case I think.

5. 99xp6

99xp6 New Member

City, State:
    Bismarck, ND
    1999 Explorer
    I had the same problem on a lincoln. Turned out to be the range selector on the side of the tranny.

6. MADMANAMI

MADMANAMI New Member

1996 Ford Explorer
    I had a problem like this on my 96 4.0 which lasted for about 6 months, any speed above 35 & letting off the gas would make this noise like gears spinning at a really high rpm, weird thing was that it didn't do it all of the time. I wasn't sure what it was so I figured when whatever finally broke I'd fix it then. Turned out to be the T-case & upon further research it is actually a design flaw with the case halves themselves. Ended up swapping out the T-case with an identical one for now just to get back on the road.