Tranny Issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FordExplorer2002

Reaction score
City, State
Plattsburgh NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
just wanted to ask. What would cause a tranny to kinda whine and rattle? sounds like a hear shield rattle but its def comeing from the tranny. u can also feel it when u touch the trans. it only whines when u touch the gas and the rattle dose it very offen when hitting the gas and not. im 99.9% sure its not a heat sheild. thanks in advance guys apreciate the help.
vehicle is a 2002 ford explorer just in case some were wondering lol 4.6L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you eliminated the serpentine as a source of the noise?

I suppose it could be the torque converter, or hell there is so many parts in that transmission it is hard to say.

no i havent lol its just driveing me insane i swore it was a heat shield but def not that

Well, I have heard a torque converter whine & rattle before (it was bad). Yeah it whined sounded like two cats going at it.

I wanna record the noises somehow and post it on here. amyome know if that s possible?

Don’t know if this is any good but I had the exact same symptoms on a Honda Pan European motor bike, turned out to be the universal joint on the drive shaft.

Back