• Register Today It's free!

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
Stock 94 Explorer XLT,
It started making a noise at idle in gear. Sort of a Morse Code sound, basically intermittent buzzing/humming.
What could this be? (It's also always whined in first gear)

Also, I'm going to be pulling a trailer several times a week with a mower on it this summer. Yes, I will be putting a hitch on it, don't want to rip the bumper off... You think I'm gonna tear the tranny to pieces, or is this ok? Trailer won't pass 2000 lbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you identify where the noise is coming from? Touching a long metal rod to various components and then the other end to your ear can let you hear vibrations and noise at the source. If you can identify where in the transmission the noise is coming from, that could help narrow down the issue.

If you have a manual shift transfer case, it could be worn out shift fork pads allowing the gears to slide and make noise. I had that issue with mine when the pads wore out.

The bumper hitch is rated for a lot more than you probably think. A frame mounted one is always better but if you wanna save a few bucks it may not be essential.

Sorry, haven’t gotten on here for a few...
Havent tried the rod trick yet, will let you know when I do.
The noise is coming from the front of the tranny, and it’s an auto transfer case.

As for the others, the bumper is kinda pointed at the ground. Like 5 degrees maybe.
It seems to me like they should have had the hitch on the frame then the bumper as a cover.

I’ve pulled 2500+ on the bumper a few times for camping... just don’t want to bumper tow daily for fear of ripping off the bumper. If that happened, the trailer is gone. Everything the trailer attaches to (yes including chains) is merely the bumper.

Yeah, I've had all that rear bumper apart and I'm pretty confident in mine, but your the best judge, obviously. I'm going to assume this is a manual transmission, I don't think you said explicitly, but from the first gear comment, I'm assuming so. Any relationship of noise to clutch operation? And you know what I might do 'just because' is to change the trans fluid.

Back