Tranny Problems

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
1992 explorer...
Started her this AM, pulled into the driveway and suddenly it seemed like it was dragging, would not rev up while in Park.

After a few seconds, I realized it was still "in gear" although the lever is in P! She is stuck in a forward gear...:(

Tried all the other gears, and N, and no change, although in N she makes a slightly different sound, but is still in a forward gear. Reverse is a no go, she wants to move forward...

As I said, this was sudden she was actually running well, I believe the shift modulator was acting up, I did replace the vacuum hose and it seemed to work fine after that. She has fluid, it is red and smells a little burned, but that may be because I was trying to rev her and the TC would have been hitting the wall......

I am not able to remove the Tranny myself, but I do have a pal that can...

Ideas? Can a completely fried modulator do this? Governor? Bad Muju...?:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not ruled out the linkage, not sure how to do that, but no. I will look at that, thanks!!

There is a ball joint at the bottom of the steering column, in the engine bay. It is a bit of a weak link... the manual even mentions to lube it. Anyway, get under the truck and have a friend shift it back and forth (preferably engine off!) and see if the linkage is shifting at the trans.

The good news is that the broken linkage ball joint is easier to fix than the transmission. The bad news is it is still a PIA.

Thanks a million for that tip, I will look there later today or tomorrow and check!

Back