Tranny pump!..what to do!?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny pump!..what to do!?!?

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer XLT 4x4
ok on my 97 xlt 4.0 i just hooked it up to the tranny flush machine and flushed it....the tranny pump only put out about 5lbs of pressure.....the fluid was really bad in it but now its good and it has 160,000 miles on it....im not sure if its the original tranny but it probably is....my question is what should i do? it shifts real good and somtimes the od off light will come on and blink because the pressure is so low and then it will shift pretty hard but when it goes off its ok again.....is there any way to change the tranny pump or is the tranny on its way out??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would think it would slip like crazy at 5lbs when did you test it, drive park?

we tested it in park on the flush machine.....the flush machine wouldnt even work intil i held it at 2000rpms to get more pump pressure.....but it dosnt slip at all

well, assuming you drove it thee, something doesn't make sense. But to answer your Q... the pump requires you removed the trannie from the vehicle. At 160K, if it is out, rebuild or replace it.

yeah well its proly at like 10lbs or so because the flush machine takes pressure away from it while its working but it was extremly low.....it the pump way up inside the tranny or is it pretty easy to get to when the tranny is out

After you pull the trannie, the pump is attached to the bellhousing, pull that and you have the pump.... but a new pump needs to installed using alignment tools...

Before you get to that much work, put a pressure gauge on it. Let's explore other things before consigning this to the pull out phase. Like EPC solenoid!

Lots of good trannie help on here.

i searched the epc solenoid but diddnt get anything.....could i do anything else to gain more pressure? and whats the epc solenoid?

I spent 15 mins trying to find apost by looking the menu for each thread, I knew what I was looking for, then I suddenly thought...WHAT? no luck using search? I know *I* have typed that word pair in the last 2 weeks....so I went to search, then within that box "advanced search" (always a better idea than a basic search) and typed in EPC Solenoid in the search terms box, then clicked check all posts (or whatever it was, not just titles. Came up with 44 hits. LOTS of info.. try it again my friend. Too many for me to post. Brain and I had some discussion on that, and he talked about his "spray test". In the particular thread I am thinking of, a new EPC solved the problem!!! Patience grasshopper. you will win this one I am sure.

EPC = Electronic Pressure Control

ok thanks i found enough info on the epc....im not a noob to motors of any sort but i dont know a damn thing about auto trannys.....this is the first auto ive ever owned so thats why the noob questions....but the only thing i diddnt understand was how to do the spray test?

You didn't sound noob. None of us ever did the auto trannie thing in olden days... but ya know what? They ain't all THAT hard.... we've got some good heads on here in trannies... and some great diagnositicians... if Brain sees this he'll chime in, or you can private message him. I still think Opera House is on of the great disgnosticians on here... and Mr. Shorty is great on electrical issues and testing.. and a dozen more I am ashamed to have missed. Give is a shot at this. You amaze yourself. We have solved some toughies....

ever rebuilt a carb? an engine? you qualify!

thanks alot........yeah well ive been driving it for 2 days now and the tranny light hasnt came on once and its shifting great so maby the flush cleaned the screens and helped...im going to drop the pan in a lil bit and see if any bolts are loose and clean the pan and change the filter just to be sure of everything....you ever use that lucas tranny stuff? im not big into addtives but i heard this stuff is pretty good.....as far as rebuilding motors lol i was a mechanic for a few years and i still work on cars regularly every week....me and my bro just build a Ls/Vtec for his crx with all forged bottom end and i have a 86 5.0 fox body.......but thanks again for info

Back