Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Tranny removal

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by kona_mtb, May 12, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. kona_mtb

kona_mtb Active Member

City, State:
    Kamloops, BC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '91 XL
    I am removing my transmission to replace my slave cylinder. If I never have to remove it again I will be happy. Well its off and all the parts that are off because of it, what are some common things I might want to replace to save time and effort down the road?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. tweakedlogic

tweakedlogic Active Member

City, State:
    memphis, tn
    '92 XLT
    replace the clutch and pressure plate while it's out. Your pilot bearing too. Also, check three plugs behind the shifter socket. If they are still rubber, replace them w/steel freeze plugs. I have 7 extra if you need them.

4. 94Gexplorer

94Gexplorer Active Member

City, State:
    port angeles, wa
    94 ex
    if your shifter bushings are going out id do them too and maybe the ujoints since ur driveshaft will be out too

5. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

City, State:
    Calimesa, CA
    1993 Explorer 4x4
    Rear main seal if it's leaking, clutch, resurface or replace flywheel. Seal the rubber plugs up with RTV or replace with steel. Personally I'm just sealing mine up and running a tiny rubber hose from one of them to act as a vent tube.