Tranny Shower and Post Op Question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Shower and Post Op Question.

DingoNatas

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer E.B.
I'm going to start with, I am no mechanic, I've never even so much as changed my own oil. I'm only now getting to working on rigs as a little hobby. I had an issue with a new rig not engaging drive positions except when in 4low. I decided to pull the transfer case and take a look. I got the both front and rear drive shafts disconnected and the 5 bolts that hold the transfer case to the transmission. I pulled the drain plug in the transfer case and let the fluid drain. I got under the transfer case, grabbed a hold and pulled it loose from the transmission. Did I mention pulling the transmission pan and letting it drain? Well, that's cause I didn't do that. The tranny broke loose a flood of fluid that would make Carrie proud. There I was stuck, with the not heavy but not yet light, transfer case on my chest and no where to go. All I could do was lay there and take the violation like Jodi Foster in “The Accused”. Covered in a glaze of fluid I schooched sideways till I could clear the rig. Not a fun experience. Now, over a week later I can still smell it in my skin. Well, I went and rebuilt the transfer case along with a new Omega arm, new High/Low gear. I got her all buttoned up and ready to put back in but not sure about fluids. I was reading on the forum that Macron V Full Synthetic will work. But someone said not to use it in the tranny. I read on the Ford site that you're supposed to use a Macron V in the tranny. So I guess my question is: Can I just fill both the transmission and transfer case with the same Macron V Full Synthetic ATF? How much tranny fluid does a tranny take?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MercV in the transmission, DEX/Merc in the transfer case. A dry transmission takes 10.8 quarts including the torque converter, 3.5 for just a pan drop, and 7 for a valve body service. Transfer case takes 1.5 quarts.

If you decide to fill the transfer case on the bench like I did, don't forget about the air breather tube like I did. Had a nice mess. I was abit luckier then you tho, had the transfer case on a tranny jack when I popped it from the transmission. I didn't know the tranny fluid was held in by the transfer case either, but I was off to the side. Gave me an excuse to pop the tranny pan off and change the fluid and filter. Arne.

I didn't know the tranny fluid was held in by the transfer case either, but I was off to the side. Arne.

?????!!!!!!!

I thought there was a seal there.

Pulling the transfer case out and changing the rear housing for one that takes a speedo sender is on my to do list.

No seal there on a 4x4, there is a lube circuit starting with an orifice puck in the valve body ending at a small weep return to the pan. If you have one of these rigs front end up on ramps, the fluid can slowly run back into the extension housing.

Back