Tranny went on my 99 XLT, $2,000 to overhaul | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny went on my 99 XLT, $2,000 to overhaul

I paid a great local $3000 to rebuild the tranny in my '98 SOHC 120,000 miles ago. A good quality rebuild job where they replace what's broken and set all of the tolerances just right is far better than a crate tranny. I get the service done regularly and still can't tell when it shifts.

Putting in a shift kit or the Ford update will make your transmission last longer. Not feeling the shifts is not rally a good thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scraping a car is never an easy decision; its like putting down the family pet

It looked like I was going to have to make that decision a few weeks ago.

I'd been doing some suspension work then I let it off the jack to go for a test drive. No reverse.
And it was taking off slowly and not going into top gear.

This thing is insured for a lot more than I paid for it. Hmmmm.

It was the transmission selector (T bar).
When it showed R it was in neutral and D was 2nd.

I don't usually look at the readout, I just count down from P, I don't know how it tricked me.

Its not the changing of the fuel pump that is the problem, its when it lets go and you are 2 hours from home without any tools and its 9:00PM

It's ok to preventively replace it so you dont get stuck. At 200k it's a smart idea.

When I had a CV axle go out, I replaced both. When I had a ball joint go out, I replaced all four. Same with shocks, tires, brakes, and even bulbs. One head light goes out, I replaced both.

When I bought the explorer used with 120k on it, I replaced the MAF, IAC, battery, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, coil pack/wires/plugs, and battery within days of taking it home.

It's ok to preventively replace it so you dont get stuck. At 200k it's a smart idea.

My buddies Tahoe went over 700KM and never needed fuel pump

When I had a CV axle go out, I replaced both. When I had a ball joint go out, I replaced all four. Same with shocks, tires, brakes, and even bulbs. One head light goes out, I replaced both.

When I bought the explorer used with 120k on it, I replaced the MAF, IAC, battery, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, coil pack/wires/plugs, and battery within days of taking it home.

Why stop there? Do the starter motor, Water pump, alternator, ect ect.

WTC (Wantagh Transmission Center) in Wantagh, Long Island.

There is another tranny shop close by, Banner Transmission in Bellmore, but I think both shops are reputable.

Ah, so you live in my neck of the woods. Banner Transmissions is like 10min from me.

Back