Trans fluid leaking at radiator. How to repair? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans fluid leaking at radiator. How to repair?

evintho

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Rosa, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
On my 2007 Explorer where the trans fluid supply line enters the rad. The line slides in and out about 1/4" but the return line on the other side does the same and doesn't leak. All other trans lines I've ever seen have a flared end and tighten to the rad. How do I address this leak? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an o-ring where the line slides into the radiator, start by checking the o-ring and the surface of the steel line, make sure there are no defects in the surface of the steel line that would keep the o-ring from sealing, might be best bet to just change the o-ring/fitting just to be on the safe side.

Here it is with the plastic cover removed. So, I assume I put an open end wrench on the rear nut to hold it and then loosen the front nut to remove the line?

You are correct, two wrenches.

I would spray the fitting with PB Blaster, or an equivalent, before I tried wrenching here.

Another idea... Maybe try gently tightening first, to see if that resolves your problem.

Good luck.

Once the plastic retainer is removed, the steel line should simply pull out of the o-ring fitting in the radiator, that is unless there is something else holding it in.

There is another mechanism that holds the steel line in besides the plastic retainer. Takes a tool that inserts around the line and into the fitting. They are a pain in the rear end. Great for putting together at the factory, not so great after being in service for many years.

As the others have said, I'd try a gentle tightening first.

So the tool is like a spring lock connector on an A\C system.

Is this the tool?

I did tighten the nut a bit and it slowed down the leak. I'm kinda reluctant to tighten it anymore. Afraid of stripping something!

I did tighten the nut a bit and it slowed down the leak. I'm kinda reluctant to tighten it anymore. Afraid of stripping something!

Or crack the plastic tank. If it is leaking at the tank than the O-ring on the inside of the tank is going out. Tank end has to be removed to replace that.

Special tool at a radiator shop needed to remove tank end and replace because of that crimped end on the core.

Yes that is the tool for the line itself.

Just like you would use it on an air conditioning line. O-Ring inside is probably viton to resist transmission fluid.

Here it is with the plastic cover removed. So, I assume I put an open end wrench on the rear nut to hold it and then loosen the front nut to remove the line?

I replaced mine with transmission compression fittings part# T16996ZR from Amazon since transmission shops sale out as fast as they come in.

Back