• Register Today It's free!

trans question

96xltexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt controll track
i have a 96 xlt auto trans that is no good ---will a trans out of a 92 work for me ?????????????? thanks in advance for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry no. The 92 used the A4LD and the computer controlled torque convertor lockup and the shift into OD. The 96 used either the 4R55E or the 5R55E and the computer controls everything. I suppose you could try and backwards engineer it, old PCM etc, but I think the effort and probability of other problems make it unworkable. So, again, sorry but no.

thats what i thought but figured i'd ask. thank you for the info glacier991. my search continues for a trans

ok how about this trans from a 96 sport?????????

In relation to this thread I've been pondering about this issue: According to my owner's manual I have a 5-speed auto. What do they consider the 5th gear? I have 1,2,D, and R on the column. My dad's '03 explorer is considered a 5-speed also but he has 1,2,3,D and R on his column. Do they count the OD on mine or is mine actually a 4-speed?

Back to the topic:
What kind of motor does the Sport have? OHV or SOHC? I think there is a difference in trannys with each motor.

"This trans" ? Your 96 to 96 sounds promising... what you got now and what you thinking of using? There were some cross over years where there was a 4R55E AND a 5R55E.. ideally i'd want to go like for like, since the computer comes into play with these trannies. 4r for 4R, 5R for 5R. Find out and let us know.

thanks again Glacier, i will look into that. ive been looking for a 96 xlt parts truck, mainly for the trans but very hard to find, thats why i hopeing the 96 sport will work for me . again ty.

98Explorer4x4 said:
In relation to this thread I've been pondering about this issue: According to my owner's manual I have a 5-speed auto. What do they consider the 5th gear? I have 1,2,D, and R on the column. My dad's '03 explorer is considered a 5-speed also but he has 1,2,3,D and R on his column. Do they count the OD on mine or is mine actually a 4-speed?

Back to the topic:
What kind of motor does the Sport have? OHV or SOHC? I think there is a difference in trannys with each motor.

Your dad's and your's have basically the same tranny. Ford didn't come out with the 5 speed auto until '97 and they didn't bother to redesign the shifter to include an extra gear so it still only has 1,2,D,R and then O/D on/off on the column. Your's is still a 5 speed though.

Back