Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Trans Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by SSR, October 10, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. SSR

SSR New Member

City, State:
    Chicago Ridge, IL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 XLT
    Anyone have any idea on a good spot to mount a trans temp gauge, a have a 2 5/8" gauge w/ mounting up.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. wabbit

wabbit Active Member

City, State:
    Western Colorado
    the white one...
    Mounting my trans temp gauge was tricky...

I really had to think on how to do it. The only available place was on the dash skirt below the steering column. That would have been less than ideal because the taper of the panel is toward the floor making the gauge difficult to monitor.
    Here's what I did...
    Remove the push button FWD switch and relocate it to the dash skirt. I put it on the right hand side as far up as it would go and have clearance behind the panel. The wires to the FWD switch were just long enough to reach to the new mounting location.
    Where the FWD switch used to be, make a panel to fit that hole. Make it out of metal or plastic. Cut a circle in the panel to accept the gauge. Mount the gauge to the panel and the panel in the hole. TaDa!! excellent mounting location for a trans temp gauge, and... custom location for FWD switch.
    Another little hint- Offset the gauge hole to one side to allow for possible mounting of a toggle switch beside the gauge.
    Hope this helps...

4. RTStork

RTStork Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Grand Bay, AL
    99 Explorer XLT 5.0L 2WD
    wabbit, that's a great idea. Do you have any pics for us?

5. wabbit

wabbit Active Member

City, State:
    Western Colorado
    the white one...
    no pics at this time...

I will go ahead and take a few and see about getting them posted.
    Another possible option with less modification would be to check into AutoMeter Gauge Pods that mount along the door/windshield frame. At the time I did my install, they were not available for 91-94 Explorers.

6. SSR

SSR New Member

City, State:
    Chicago Ridge, IL
    94 XLT
    That sounds pretty cool, some pictures would be great. I don't want to use a gauge pod is because I am planning on buying a supercharger, and I am going to put boost and fuel pressure in the pod.