1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Trans, Torque Converter or Flywheel??

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by Heavymentill, December 13, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Heavymentill

Heavymentill Active Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, Michigan
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 Explorer Limited
      The other day I started my truck backed out of my parking space then put it in drive went about 3 feet heard a bang then my rpms jumped as I was unable to move. I tried every gear with the same results it sounded like metal on metal rubbing coming from the torque converter area. After I shut the vehical off now I hear the starter turning but no cranking of the engine. I have kinda been anticipating this but not to this extent. Dose any one know what it might be. I took my starter off and was able to turn the flywheel only to find all the teeth intact. I'm now in the process of removing the trans. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
      :banghead: Tried a search couldn't find what I needed

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Diff Whack Daddy

Diff Whack Daddy And the Roll Over Posse! Under the Hood Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mount Vernon, WA
      1st Gen XLT 4dr
      Callsign:
      KG7VTT
      Believe it or not it sounds like the center of your flexplate gave out. This happened to me once. Basically, the flexplate broke in the center where you can't see it until you remove the trans. Fix = pull trans, replace flexplate(5 bolts) reinstall trans.

4. Brain

Brain Active Member

City, State:
      Golden, CO
      '92 4X EB and '91 4X XLT
      I believe six bolts hold on the flexplate to the back of the crankshaft from '91-'94 and from sometime in '95 on they had eight bolts because they were trying to fix this cracking problem. On '95s you have to look to make sure how many bolts there are. Here's a link to the technical service bulletin about it:
      http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A.../56351048/34853741/34850750/42063452/93057214

If you had the plate crack between two bolts and didn't have any problems, another crack would likely form between the next two bolt holes, and then the next, etc., etc. until the entire center portion of the flexplate (connected to the crankshaft) wasn't connected to the outer portion (which connects to the torque converter)....then you have a situation where the starter turns the outer portion but not the crankshaft, and the engine (when it was running) turns the crankshaft but not the torque converter (and anything further back).

While you are at it you might want to replace the cranshaft pilot sleeve as well (really cheap part). I see that you have a '96, so I'm figuring you have the 8-bolt pattern. The crankshaft pilot sleeve part number for the 8-bolt pattern is F77Z-6434AA where for the 6-bolt pattern it is D4ZZ-6434A.

Hope that helps.

5. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      This board truly IS an awesome repository.

6. Heavymentill

Heavymentill Active Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, Michigan
      96 Explorer Limited
      Well, I appreciate all of your help. Turned out just as you guys stated. The flywheel center where it attaches to the crankshaft had completely broke free. So when the starter was cranking it was only turning the flywheel and torque converter not the driveshaft. I was luck to have a flywheel from a 95 explorer on hand that I replaced it with. It seems the 96 version is very cheaply made as it has a welded in insert and spacer (one piece) where the 95 has a reinforcement plate and a separate spacer. Ford trying to save money in a critical area. Go figure.
      AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! :chug: