• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case gearing

geo92

Reaction score
City, State
phoenix,AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I have a 92 X w/AT. Steep descents are, to say the least, an adventure. Short of an Atlas, are there any crawler gears available to stop this Run-Away-Train? Any help is appreciated.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No gearsets but...

Nope, no replacement gearsets avail.

Do a search for "doubler" someone is prototyping and selling an additional reduction box to go in front of the trans case. Give you gears of 1:1, 2.47:1, 6:15:1. Intstall will add length to front drive shaft and rear will have to be shortened. Thats the only choice as far as I know other than the Atlas.

Axle ratios may be an alternative depending on the use of the vehicle. May be cheaper too.

Originally posted by geo92
I have a 92 X w/AT. Steep descents are, to say the least, an adventure. Short of an Atlas, are there any crawler gears available to stop this Run-Away-Train? Any help is appreciated.:(

Just a quick question. Do you have your truck in normal drive when you are going down the steep hill?
The reason I ask is because unless it's put in D2, or D1
the engine won't help with breaking power. For some reason having your truck on normal drive, the tranny will coast instead of staying engaged and allowing the engine to act as a brake.

In 4L D1, unbraked descents can get as fast as 10mph.
It seems as though I'm free-wheeling. The engine does drag, just not enough to keep slow speeds. I know from experience that using brakes during descents can lead to trouble, so any help is appreciated. Geo.

What is your axle gear ratio, and your tire diameter?

Back