1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Transfer Case Leaking

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by ExplorerCoby, May 31, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ExplorerCoby

ExplorerCoby New Member

City, State:
    Wilson, OK
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 Ford Explorer 4wd
    I just changed the filter and fluid in the transmission and noticed the transfer case is leaking.

It looks like it's leaking from the bottom of the transfer case where it looks like there is a gasket.

The only thing they sell at Autozone is the Output seal - which seems to be okay.

I found a Motorcraft "transfer case gasket" on eBay but it says it goes between the tranny and transfer case.

I'm confused about what I need to replace - maybe I need to look elsewhere for the leak?

Thanks,
    Coby

P.S. Vehicle is a 2007 Explorer, Automatic Transmission, 4x4, V6

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    Since I took the transfer case out on mine few times......
    There is no gasket at the bottom. Mine was leaking at the rear output shaft.
    If it's leaking from between the tranny and TC, then the input shaft seal is bad. Mine was dry there even after 200k miles.

4. ExplorerCoby

ExplorerCoby New Member

City, State:
    Wilson, OK
    2007 Ford Explorer 4wd
    Is that the only thing that could leak? At the output or input shaft? It's probably the input shaft seal.

Do I have to drop the TC to fix?

5. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    Yes, those are the only 2 places really...
    And yes, you would need to drop it, not sure what special tools you would need to replace the seals.

6. ExplorerCoby

ExplorerCoby New Member

City, State:
    Wilson, OK
    2007 Ford Explorer 4wd
    Thanks. I just inspected it further and realized it's not the transfer case at all. It's not even near the transfer case actually. During a recent oil change I was told the transfer case was leaking. So when I noticed the leak underneath, just assumed that was it...

After further inspection, I realize it's actually the oil pan gasket that is leaking. The transfer case was fine, once I located it, lol.

I feel like a dork, but I appreciate you steering me in the right direction!

Cheers,
    Coby